Chapter 9

For the last time, I'm woken by Maximus rapping on my door. "Wakey-wakey, darling! Come on, your prep team will be waiting! When you're dressed run along so you can be made up. I'll send up some food since you won't have time for breakfast."

I shower and clean my teeth, then I dress in a plain shirt and trousers. I leave my hair loose. There's no point tying it back if I'm just going to have it redone.

Spindle comes to collect me. She smiles. "Good morning. Today won't be too exciting. Just us making you look wonderful so you make an impression. Not that you haven't already, with that score of yours and you and your brother being such a winning pair with the Capitol."

"They really like us?" I ask as we make our way down to the Remake Centre.

Spindle nods. "Oh, yes. Of course they do. They'll lap up anything that's not the norm or might cause drama. It's rare for there to be a sibling pair in the Games. I've already seen posters up advertising Panem's Favourite Siblings."

My prep teams greets me with many hugs and squeals. Luna's hair is now a bright silver, I'm assuming to stay true to her name. She brushes my hair from my eyes, cups my face in her hands, and says, "Oh, we're going to make you look stunning!"

I almost consider asking Spindle to stay so I'm not alone with my prep team. They babble on about the strangest of things. Demetrius tells me that he couldn't wait to tell all his friends what a wonderful tribute he had the pleasure of remaking. I smile awkwardly, unsure of how to respond.

I'm covered in pale makeup, which feels odd. I don't like looking down at myself and not seeing the olive tan that's so common back home. Luna brushes my hair until it falls down my back in a silky curtain, then ties a section of it back. She slicks the rest up with gel and moulds it so I have what seems like an abnormally large lock of hair falling down the side of my face. Demetrius carefully outlines my eyes in dark blue.

"I wanted to do black, but Spindle said it would be too harsh," he says, sticking his tongue out slightly as he finishes with the eye pencil. "Personally, I think you'd look lovely with black eye pencil. Very similar to coal. I wonder what they're doing with your brother?"

I nod slightly, and Serena flaps at me.

"Don't move!" she screeches. "I almost smudged your blush!"

I sigh as she adjusts the powder on my cheeks, then adds some to my eyelids. A coat of pink lip gloss, some glittery polish on my nails, and finally a layer of silver powder that makes my entire body sparkle in the light. I'm given warnings not to touch my eyes unless I want makeup in them.

Spindle comes in with a bag containing my outfit. She flaps at my prep team until they step back, then commands me to shut my eyes.

Someone slips the dress over my head. It's lined with a soft, silky fabric and it's fairly light. I stumble into a pair of shoes, which thankfully don't seem to have heels. Some adjusting. Fidgeting. Silence.

"You can open your eyes now." I can hear the smile in Spindle's voice.

A mirror has been placed before me. I inhale sharply. I'm not quite sure if the girl I'm looking at is me.

I'm wearing a pale blue dress that falls just to my knees. The sleeves stop just below my elbows and are made from a sheer blue material decorated with sequins. My shoes are flat and white, and I'm so glad I don't have to risk wearing heels again.

I look young. Much younger than my fourteen years. But at the same time, I look more grown-up than ever.

"Oh Spindle," I whisper. "Oh, Spindle. I feel like a princess."