Chapter Twenty-Five

Quick Note: Not sure if the song I chose really fits, but it is what came to mind while I was writing the chapter. The picture is of Stacy and Kenneth. (Sandra Bullock and James Franco).

*

*

The scents of bacon, eggs, hash browns and country gray roused me awake. The soft sizzling sound of cooking filtered to me as I opened my eyes realizing I was asleep on my couch.

My head pounded and I groaned softly. To my left I heard the snorgles of Boxer who slept curled up in the fold of my arm.

I tried to recall the evening before through the foggy drumming in my head and I could not. Obviously, I must have drunk some wine. I tried to sit up – okay a lot of wine.

I remembered Stacy and Kenneth arriving to pick me up. Stacy drove me in my car home while I told her what I had seen and Kenneth followed behind us. My brow furrowed trying to remember beyond that and I vaguely could come up with an image of me sipping on a glass of wine, but nothing else.

Closing my eyes again, I relaxed into the pillow I had slept on and tried to concentrate on getting rid of the pounding in my head.

“Ow,” I heard a male voice say quietly. A familiar voice. My eyes flew open and my whole body tensed.

Sitting up I peeked over the top of my couch like a kid spying on a neighbor over the fence with just their eyes. Mine widened at the sight in my kitchen.

I watched as Evan moved around. He is facing me as my stove looks out into the rest of my living room area from the little bar opening. He only wore a tank top as far as I could see and had a towel over one shoulder. Looking down at what he was doing, his muscular arms rippled as he cooked.

Holy crap! What is he doing in my apartment? Cooking at that? Did I do something really stupid after Stacy left last night? Did she leave? Desperately now I tried to remember which only made my head throb more. Would Evan have even agreed to such a fling? I didn’t think he would take advantage of someone like that.

I looked back over at him and flushed because he is staring right at me. I am caught from my peeking over the couch.

“Good morning,” he says his voice a low rumble and smiles. I sat up straighter feeling silly as if I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar.

“Hi…what are you doing here?” I couldn’t help but blurt out the question.

“You don’t remember?”

Dread filled me as I shook my head no.

“Stacy called me late saying that she couldn’t get you to calm down. You had been drinking and upset with what happened from work and was asking for me,” he said continuing to cook.

Ugh, it was just as bad as what my mind had conjured. Even more surprising that he even came.

“You stayed overnight?”

“Yes, we all did.”

We? Whose we? Evan, Stacy and Kenneth? I slouched back down into the couch hoping it would swallow me up. I am beyond mortified.

“Don’t be embarrassed Sonja, Stacy cares a great deal about you and so do I,” I heard Evan say.

My heart fluttered and speaking of Stacy, where is she? I didn’t hear water running in the bathroom or her or Kenneth’s constant comical bickering.

“Where is Stacy?” I asked sitting back up again. Seeing him cooking in my kitchen felt a little weird and I could only imagine the things I said to Stacy and Kenneth while I was blacked out drunk apparently.