Chapter Forty-Four

Quick Note: Wow for some reason that took me a really long ass time to type this chapter up. This is the longest chapter I have written all in Evan's POV as well. Sorry for the lateness of the update and any errors in the chapter. Love you all! =D

*

Evan’s POV

*

I slam my car door shut as I get out. Arriving back home at Sonja’s apartment I am annoyed, worried and angry that the authorities couldn’t do anything quickly enough.

We said we don’t believe he would kill her, not right away. I shudder in agony at the thought. Stacy insisted on calling them at the scene and I let her, too lost in my anguish and guilt for letting this happen to my Sonja.

Stacy tried to reassure me that it is no one’s fault. There was no way we could have known he would have been there to make the move he did and take her.

Furiously, I ran my hands through my hair as I waited for the rest of them to arrive pacing around my car. I had to wait for Stacy as she had the other extra key to Sonja’s place. Mine was in the apartment and Sonja had hers on her. She only brought the one key to the New Year’s bash.

Oh god, where is my baby?

I should have paid more attention to what the police had said. Once they told us they would have to transfer the report to Sausalito’s police department and put out an all point’s bulletin for Jerry I didn’t want to hear anymore. It just wastes time. With how stealthily he has moved so far I doubted anyone would notice him.

The whole process took an hour and when we finally were able to leave and go home, I sped off leaving the rest to follow. Of course I beat them home because of that.

It had been too quiet in my car on the way back without Sonja with me. Twice on the drive, I reached out for where her hand would normally have rested on the center console. Both times I scowled and my eyes stung with fresh tears.

Headlights shone in the distance. That would be Stacy.

“What took so long?” I grumbled soon as she got of her car.

“Hey, you’re the one who took off like a bat out of hell,” she snaps at me.

I didn’t respond. There is no arguing with that. It was a reflection of my mood. The urgency to find her, but how?

Everything good and the light in my life is Sonja. That light has gone out without her in my arms. Knowing that she is not safe and with that sadistic bastard and unable to find out where she is sickened me. I refused to let my imagination run rampant about what he might do to her, what he could already be doing to her. The thought crushes my chest.

“I brought coffee,” Stacy says kindly coming over to me as we walked to Sonja’s door. I snorted and she frowns at me. Every minute that ticked by is another that Jerry could get further away and Stacy brings coffee.

I did however; admire Stacy for being so calm and not afraid to speak up to me. I can be intimidating when this upset. Although, I don’t think I’ve ever been this distraught. Not in the slightest. No one would be steady in their frame of mind with the woman they love being abducted by her abusive deranged ex-boyfriend.

I remember seeing the old reports Mayweather had in Sonja’s counseling files, the ones that were about Jerry. His behavior gradually deteriorated. Joanne was given these reports by Sonja’s lawyer in order to assess what kind of threat Jerry would be to her upon his release. It helped with the therapeutic process to prepare the patient in case of any future encounters. Not all of them had restraining orders, some even refused them.