[Chapter Twenty]

Chapter Twenty

The sound of someone knocking rattles me from my sleep.

"Knock, knock," they yell out.

I pull the covers over my face and hide beneath the comfort of my blanket. I'm usually a morning person, just not after late, long nights. It doesn't help that in order to wake up, I'll need to splash cold water on my face.

From the small peep hole in my blanket, the aroma of freshly cooked eggs and bacon is the first thing to get my stomach grumbling in protests of hunger. I lift the blanket up, just enough to see the bony hands of Alex standing in front of me with a tray full of food.

"I appreciate the thought, but next time I'd like some warning so that I can get dressed into something appropriate for your viewing," I yell from underneath the cover.

"Right." He grins, "the whole mask thing, where is it?" he asks.

"Just wait outside, I'll only be a minute." If I could see his face, I bet he would have nodded and awkwardly retreated from the room. A pang of guilt settles in my stomach, I wasn't that mean, was I?

Once I hear the bedroom door close, I throw the blanket off my body and climb out. I rush to my suitcase and grab out an outfit to wear. Lucy packed a beautiful warm blue coloured dress with a lace trim at the bottom and decoration on the top section. I pair the outfit with white sandal heels, a white clutch bag, and a plain white laced mask.

I spare a couple of minutes to wash my face and brush my hair. I apply the essential beauty products to my face before joining Alex in the kitchen.

He's standing behind the counter with the food tray in front of him.

"Thank you." I smile, "Room service?" I ask.

"Exactly that." He chuckles.

"Did my Dad leave a note or something?" I ask.

"Not sure." He shrugs his shoulder, "I saw a man leave your hotel room when I was collecting my room service, so I thought I would order something for you," he explains.

"That's strange, usually he tells me when he's going," I say.

"Maybe it was urgent?" he offers.

"Maybe." I shrug it off.

"Do you want to watch TV?"  Alex asks.

"Why not." I smile.

With the tray firmly in my grasp, I plop on the couch next to Alex. I take the lid off the tray and examine the food on the plate.

"I didn't know what to get, so I got something standard."

"That's okay, thank you."

Alex flicks on the television and starts surfing through the channels quickly. I never got how people could barely look at the screen before deciding to move onwards. How do people even know what's on the channel?

"What are we even watching?" I ask.

Alex settles on one channel, "TMZ," he says.

"Has our thing been aired?" I ask.

"I think we're just in time." Alex looks at the screen and turns up the volume.

"Alex Bray, one of the hottest bachelors in the music industry was caught leaving the beach with a female companion," the woman starts saying. "There isn't a clear photograph, but rumours and blurred images are surfacing the internet. It's thought to be The Masked Singer, the girl who was recently discovered for her talents off of YouTube."