[Chapter Forty Nine]

Chapter Forty Nine

I hide my face in the crook of Alex's neck as we wait for the door to fully open. Every kind of bad scenario begins to flash through my mind. What if it's Nathan with my identity or even the paparazzi rushing in with camera's at the ready – although that last idea seems completely impossible, it's still a valid fear I have.

Standing here with Alex and no mask is making me feel extremely naked and vulnerable to society. I remember when I thought I was ready to throw it all away for Nathan – now I'm shaking at the thought of anymore people finding out my secret. I need to improve my game if I'm going to be able to continue with this career.

I can hear the sound of shoes clicking against the tiled floor as they walk deeper into the pool room. My body begins to freeze up and I try to curl myself closer to his body.

"It's just Archer," he whispers into my ear.

As those words float through my mind, I suddenly feel relieved. Taking a deep breath, I push myself away from Alex so that there's a noticeable gap between us. I then turn around and find Archer walking over to the pool chairs on the other side of the room.

When his eyes catch mine, he points to his face, but makes it look like he's scratching his cheek. It's that small gesture that pulls me out of calmed state to realise I'm still standing here without the mask on.

Turning back to face Alex, I take the mask from his hands and put it back on. The cold water rushes out of the soggy material and down my face.

"How do you feel now?" Alex suddenly asks.

"Cold," I shiver, "the mask seems to have retained a lot of cold water that is now pressed up against my face," I explain.

"I mean about the other thing." He shakes his head; a small smile appears on his face. "But-" He comes and wraps his arms around my middle and drags my body to his chest, "- we cannot have you getting cold," he says.

Wrapping my arms around his waist, I rest my head on his chest.

"It feels nice."

"Mm..."

"I like that we can progress forwards without any looming secrets," I confess.

"I enjoy being able to really get to know you," he whispers, and then plants a light kiss on my cheek.

"I was going to give it all up."

"What?" Alex pulls my body away from his so that he can look into my eye, "give what up?" he asks.

"This." I point at my mask. "I was so ready to drop the act and go home with my family. In fact, I was working towards telling Ava but she reminded me this lifestyle doesn't just affect me – it affects everyone around me."

"I'm glad you've decided to stay. I like you too much to even think about the possibilities of losing you," he confesses. Alex smiles and it reaches his blue eyes. The little glimmers of happiness floating through makes my heart tingle with happiness.

"I'm glad I decided to stay. I'd hate to miss out on this moment." Alex's hands cup my face, and ever so slowly, he leans down and kisses me again. The feeling of his lips brushing up against mine send tingles surging through my body – I'm so grateful I decided to push further along with this career.

"Why did you want to leave? Is there something happening you need help with?" Alex questions, a look of worry springs onto his face.

"It's just – I was so confused about myself. There's so many emotions coursing through my body and it's tiring trying to figure out what to do with them all."

"You should sort them out them." I nod my head in agreement.

"I've started working on them. I've managed to talk to you and Ava today," I explain.

"But you still need to talk to Nathan?" He raises an eyebrow up at me.

"I do. But I don't know what to do. He's this great friend for Riley, and I love how he's easy to get along with and just hang out with."

"He's a good kid, but you've got to stick with your own kind."

"What are you getting at?" I slap his arm. Alex cowers back and gently nurses his hurt arm. The look of fake pain playing on his face makes me laugh even more at him.

"You're famous, he's a waiter. You travel, he's in the same place day in, day out," Alex begins to list of the differences between us.

"Hang on." I hold my hand up, cutting him off. "Nathan is training to take over a company and its franchise and he so does change locations. He happens to by my personal assistant at the hotel." I poke my tongue out him as I list the correct facts.

"Nathan's a really good friend of mine and I just don't want to see him getting hurt over this stunt of yours."

"I wouldn't hurt him." I take a step back from him. I wouldn't intentionally set out to hurt Nathan; he's the friend I really need at the moment. He's the element in my life that reminds me of who I really am, and not what I've become.

"He's somebody you want, but don't need," he says.

"Why do you say that?" I question.

"You don't need Nathan, you've got support from everyone else. Talking to him like that just leads him on and I don't think it's fair," Alex explains.

"You're not being fair to me," I point out.

"Sienna, you just can't see it from the way I do." He shakes his head as he tries to close the gap between our bodies.

"That's because your way is stupid," I conclude.

Shrugging his shoulders, he sinks deeper into the water, to the point where his shoulders are almost covered with water. "We came here to have fun, and so far you're being serious. Are you incapable of fun?" Alex asks, a cheeky look swirls into his eyes.

"I can have fun," I shout.

Suddenly, Alex jumps from the water and pushes a large amount of water into my face. I squeal as the bulk of cold water comes crashing into my face. It sends a shiver now my spine and a feeling of revenge to consume me.

Alex must have seen the calculating look on my face – before I have the chance to collect my thoughts and plan out an attacking move, he leaps away from me, thus creating more water to fall on me. Wrong move.

Charging after Alex, it's a bit of an effort to keep up with his body dashing through the water. It's almost like he's a fish and I'm some kind of unfit human who has never grasp the concept of water and fluent movement.

Jumping, I try to grab his arm, but I fall into the water and miss him completely. When I resurface, I find Alex standing half a metre away with a gigantic smile on his face.

"I hate you," I declare. Crossing my arms over my chest, I move away from him and over to the steps in the shallow end.

"Don't be like that Sienna," he pouts.

"Being like what?"

"Just come and have some fun." Alex charges over to me and as he comes into a close distance, I throw up some water in his face.

"Oh, it's so on Missy." Alex scoops up some water in his hands and chucks it at me. I quickly duck and miss it.

"Game on Alex!" s pl