[Chapter Thirty Eight]

Chapter Thirty Eight

"You've got to tell me everything, Riley!" Lucy says, her hands flying around in rapid gestures. I shake my head at her and smile, even though so much in my life has changed, at least I can rely on Lucy to show me some parts will never change.

"What do you want me to tell you? I've told you all the good parts," I explain with an innocent smile. Her eyes go wide and her mouth drops open in a look of shock before all of her facial features morph into a look of anger.

"Don't you lie to me? I've seen all the magazines!" she yells while repeatedly belting my poor arm, "There's pictures and articles and, and you need to tell me who's lying and who's stalking you so that I can read that magazine," she huffs.

"Calm yourself," I call out, just as loud as her, which in return earns me a frown from Mom and a chuckle from Archer. I put on a cute, innocent, pouty face as I play the victim card, but Mom and Archer continue to load the suitcases into the back of the car.

When Mom isn't looking, I poke my tongue out at Lucy and she roughly punches my shoulder again. I go to smack her back, but I'm quickly stopped by the sound of my mother's angry voice.

"Both of you calm down and get inside the car. You're holding traffic up," Mom demands. The two of us silently laugh as we hurry over to the side of the car. Hannah is already sitting in the far side behind Archer's chair, so it leaves the last two for Lucy and I.

As I strap myself in, I notice Ava's missing. I should have noticed she went missing the moment someone else started nagging me about my actions.

"Archer, where's Ava?" I ask. As he starts the engine, he turns back to look at me.

"There was a problem at the venue so she had to attend to it."

"Oh." Hopefully everything is fine. I'm nervous and excited about the performance, and considering I spent the last couple of days working my arse off, I hope nothing tragic happens! Alex will have me practicing even more if something does. And there's only so many hours you can spend cooped up with someone before you need a long break from them.

When Mom climbs into the front seat, Archer drives off in the direction of our hotel. It doesn't take us too long until we are pulling up in front of the hotel, a sight I've seen a few too many times for my liking.

We stop at the entrance and climb out. Archer hands the car keys to one of the staff members before walking around to the back to help unload the boot. The cases aren't large, but on the small side because of their short stay. It's surprising to see Hannah didn't pack her entire wardrobe.

Both Mom and Hannah take their cases and begin walking to the entrance while Lucy stands there smiling at me and then briefly looking back at the case, then back to me. It takes me about a minute to realize she's expecting me to take it.

"You are so evil," I whisper as I grab the outstretched handle.

"I'm not the one keeping valuable secrets," she dismisses with a flick of her hair. I laugh at her childish attitude and carry her bags. When we get into the entrance of the hotel, Mom and Hannah are already standing at the check in desk so we both make our way over to stand with them.

"When are you going to start telling me about your secret little love life?" Lucy demands. I can see Hannah's ears prick up at the mentioning of it.

"When we don't have an audience," I whisper shout at her. Lucy growls under her breath and pouts her lips.

"You are so mean sometimes," she concludes.

"You are so impatient," I snap.

"I can't help the way I was born!" she shrieks. Lucy folds her arms across her chest and begins to thump her foot against the ground. I turn my attention away from the fidgeting girl and over to what's happening with Mom.

Hopefully we are in a decent room that happens to be a million miles away from where Nathan services are required. I don't need Lucy or Hannah prying into what's happening there, it's bad enough I have them already conjuring up answers about Alex.

As I'm listening to the reception explain where to find the room, I feel something poke my shoulder. Out the corner of my eyes I can see Lucy standing there was an excited look on her face. When I don't respond to her, she punches my shoulder and points to a figure standing near the front door.

"What do you want now?" I ask.

"Please tell me that's Alex Bray." Lucy looks like she's about to burst out screaming. It takes me a brief moment to figure out that the person in the black leather jacket facing away from us is Alex. I wonder where he could be going today.

"That's Alex," I dismiss causally. Her eyes go wide in surprise and before I know it the hyperactive girl standing in front of me has made a run for it. Why did she need to do that? Just run off when she knows I'm still Riley! I can't just go over there and talk to him! I'm sure he's going to recognize who I am. What if he finds out my identity? Everything could down spiral if that happens, but I can't let Lucy make a fool of herself while I stand back and watch her do it.

I quickly run over to her but not quick enough because she starts talking to him.

"Could I please have a photo with you?" she asks with the biggest grin on her face. Things could be worse. I don't think she could embarrass herself by asking a simple question like that. I stand next to her and try to look away so that he doesn't see my face.

"No," he spits, a horrible angry frown taking over his once soft, boyish features. "Go away, you're drawing attention to me," he commands.

The two of us stand there with our mouths wide open, shocked at what just happened. Are we both looking at the same Alex Bray? The same one I've spend just about every day with for the last two weeks? This can't be Alex...

"Your cars waiting," Mitch says as he grabs Alex's arm and whisks him out the front doors. It takes Lucy and I a couple more minutes before we regain our composure.

"Did that really just happen?" she asks me.

"Yes." I nod my head.

"What a jerk!" she sneers.

Is he pretending to be someone else to my face or is he just having a bad day? I feel as if celebrities have bad days and moments, but instead of people dismissing it as a reaction or outlet of their emotions, it's branded a person to have a diva attitude. How can people stay real when they are forced to continue calculating their every move and action?

"Does he act like this all the time?" Lucy asks.

I shake my head and shrug, "I don't know Lucy. He could be having a bad day."

"Maybe he misses you?" she giggles.

"Let's just get checked in," I try to distract her.

"I still want to know what's been happening with the two of you," she adds in with an evil laugh.

"I don't think I can escape telling you anything." I shrug my shoulders.

The two of us re-join Hannah and Mom by the elevators. When the doors open, we climb inside and press the button for our level.

The atmosphere of the group begins to pick up the moment Lucy and Hannah go running into the hotel room. Just like I did the first time I got here, the two dump their bags in the middle of the floor and run off to inspect the place and probably to dibs what bedrooms they plan on sleeping in. I know Ava is probably going to make me go straight back to my room, but I'd still sneak down with the help of Archer.

There is nothing that's going to keep me from spending this time with my family!