Chapter 3

Adele didn't say a word, pity flickering in her eyes. A small frown flickered onto her face when I scowled before understanding that I didn't want to be pitied. "Come," she said, gesturing towards a chair that Monroe had sat in earlier before I tried to get out. "You might want to take a seat. You haven't eaten anything for a while, and I am sure that you are tired."

I bit back a growl of annoyance because I knew that she was right. I was tired. The adrenaline had worn off, and I was shaking on my legs. My eyes flickered around the people gathered, not trusting the people around me. "I'd rather stand," I replied, folding my arms across my chest.

"It wasn't a question," Adele said. She gestured towards the chair. "Please, sit, Alpha. We do not need you falling. No one will touch you, and no one will think you are weak."

I studied the people before me before starting to walk towards the chair. My legs shook from my weight and not being used as much as I would've liked them to. My whole body was tense and finally, sitting down in that chair was sweet relief.

The door banged open, and I jumped reflexively and stumbled. Warm arms wrapped around my waist, holding me up and stopping me from falling. There was vibration as the person chuckled, and my whole body grew tense. "Who knew that the strong Alpha would be able to fall for someone."

I looked up to see the brown eyes of my "mate" staring at me with trust. I didn't say a word to him as he helped me stand and looked him up and down. "You all right?" I asked, and he nodded.

"I think that you need some sleep," Cameron said, making sure that I was fine. There was a scowl on his face when he noticed the dried blood covered my body. "And a shower."

"She will be fine, Young Alpha," Adele said, coming into our conversation. She glanced at me. "After your nap, we need to talk, Shandhi."

I tensed when she called me the Shandhi and looked towards Cameron, who looked conflicted about something. I knew that I hadn't told anyone from either pack about what I was, and I knew it would put us a bit off. Alphas were supposed to be honest with their pack members and other packs' members, and I haven't been honest to them. "It would've been risky if you knew," I muttered, low enough to him. I nodded to Adele. "Show me to my room."

"Of course, Alpha," she said before starting to walk towards the exit.

I bit back a gasp of surprise when I felt my legs leave the floor. I looked up to see Cameron smirking down at me and scowled. "I can walk," I said, not even trying to get out of his arms.

"I know you can," he replied. "But I like this better." He grinned innocently, and I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

I growled a small warning at him, and he growled back at me. I didn't like the challenge from a pack member and lifted my lip to bare my teeth at him. My whole body was tense, and I was prepared to make him submit to me. Yes, I knew that he was my "real" mate, but I had to make sure that he knew that I was still the Alpha.

Cameron flicked his eyes to the sound and bowed his head a small bit. There was a scowl on his face that I didn't like but didn't try to do anything. "We do have to talk," he said, his voice hard. "There are some things that you need to know."

***

I leaned back in the bed after Cameron told me what he knew and sighed. I moved a hand through my now clean hair and grimaced. "So, my grandfather told you that you were an Alpha?" I asked, and Cameron nodded.

"I don't expect to be much help to you yet," he said. "But, I would like to have at least some respect from you and the pack."

I grimaced and turned away from him. I didn't want to think about the guilt I was having for not protecting the pack. I was worried that they wouldn't survive, and I didn't know if I liked the odds of not having pack members on my side.

"Hey," Cameron said, probably understanding the way I looked away from him. He took hold of my chin and moved it so that I was looking at him. "They will be fine," he said softly. He wiped a single tear that I didn't know was falling from my eyes and kept his other hand on my cheek. "I'm sure that everyone is waiting for your return as their Alpha."

"But I left them," I whispered. "I left them to die."

"They all would've died if you didn't leave. They will be safe until you find what you need."

"Hopefully," I mumbled.

"They will." He moved his thumb across my lips, and a shiver ran through my body. He looked at my lips, and I could see that he wanted to claim my lips as his. Lust filled his eyes when I let in a shaky breath and leaned in.

I held my breath, not knowing why I wanted to get kissed by this man. It felt as if my body and soul just wanted to be claimed by him, even though there was an image of the male that I had been assigned to that made me pull back a small bit.

Cameron let out a small sigh and moved his face up until he kissed my forehead. "Get some rest," he said. "I'll be here to watch over you."

I blinked, feeling rejected. A small scowl appeared on my face while I nodded my head, not liking how my feelings were all mixed up. "You need to get some rest too," I said, placing my hand on his arm when he tried to get up. "Stay."

Cameron looked rather conflicted but nodded his head. He moved the covers back and placed me underneath them before climbing in.

I watched as he placed a pillow in between us, and the bed that barely held two looked even smaller. With a scoff and an eye roll, I moved the pillow from in between us and curled up into his side. "It's too small for that," I muttered, feeling him stiffen. "And I need to be close to a pack member. I'm on edge."

Cameron relaxed and pulled me closer to him, laying my head on his chest. "Sleep," he instructed. "I'll be here when you wake."

I closed my eyes and fell asleep, and when darkness almost took over, I felt Cameron placed a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you," he whispered. "And I wish I could tell you that."