Chapter 15

A loud roaring sound came from all around us, and Cameron and I stopped short. I grunted when the three members on my back moved forward but didn't look back at them to make sure that they were all right. My ears flickered this way and that as I tried to figure out which way the roar was actually coming from. However, I was not able to, and I had a feeling that we actually might be surrounded.

Cameron came to my side and whined. He looked this way and that, and I could see that he was concerned. He didn't like the sound of the roaring, and it didn't help that we were only halfway up the mountain.

"Uh... what was that?" Malena asked, nervousness appearing in her voice. She shifted in her spot and looked around. Her heartbeat started to pick up, and I could tell that she had never experienced that before."And which way did it come from?"

I shrugged my shoulder and glanced at Cameron. Hesitantly, I started to run again with my mate beside me. My whole body was tense as I kept an ear and an eye out for whatever was out there.

"That... didn't sound good," Carter said. He sounded worried, and I couldn't help but feel him worried about Malena. "Do you think that it is coming from the direction that we are going in?"

Cameron lifted his shoulder a bit as if to show a shrug. He kept glancing at me, and I knew that he was waiting for my signal to do anything. He understood that we were going to need to do anything to keep these Humans safe, even though they were trained fighters like us.

Another roar sounded closer to us, and I picked off my pace, which almost sent them to the ground.

Cameron ran after me, keeping pace. He kept glancing at me and at the warriors on my back, making sure that they were still on while I did the same for him.

"It's gaining on us," Malena yelled, and I flicked my ears towards her after another roar. Most of her voice scattered throughout the wind, but I was still able to hear her. "Can't you go any faster?"

"P-p-p-please, don't," Samuel stuttered. He looked kind of pale, and I was sure that this was all too much for him. "I-I-I can't hold on for much l-l-l-longer."

I rolled my eyes before spying a cave in the distance. I knew that this cave wasn't the way that I needed to go, but I knew that my main concern should be the seven of them. I signaled my mate, telling him to go to the left before making a somewhat sharp turn.

Cameron followed my lead and ran to the cave just as another roar sounded through the mountains. His ears flickered this way and that, and I could tell that he was getting worried.

I stopped and laid down, ignoring Cameron's bark of warning. I snarled and pointed to the cave indicating for him to go. I watched as he frowned but nodded his head before starting to walk briskly that way.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Malena asked, sounding exasperated. "Get up and let's go! There is no need to be stopping when there is something coming this way!"

I growled and shook my body softly before turning to look at them. I gave them my best scowl, indicating that I want them off of my back and get a move on.

"Are you stupid?" Carter asked, catching my drift. Shock and a tiny bit of respect filled his voice as he stared at me with wide eyes. "Do you really want to fight that thing? It could kill you."

I nodded, not knowing if there was another way around or not to get to where we needed to go. I could feel that time was running out, and I did not want them to get hurt because of me.

"Let's go," Monroe said, hopping off of my back. "There is no time to argue. The cave is our best bet. Are you going to try to protect us from there?"

I nodded and felt both Malena and Carter get off of my back. I could feel the vibrations of something heavy running towards us from the earth behind my paws, coming close. I grunted and nudged them to get a move on before following behind.

Cameron was some distance up front, but he kept looking back to make sure that we were following.

I flicked my ears behind and heard the sound of heavy breathing behind me. I nudged them to go faster before turning around and standing my ground.

I snarled and waited for the thing to show up, praying to the Gods that this was not my night to die. I still had a pack to save, and that was my main mission.