Chapter 17

I made it over the hill and watched as Malena forced the creature to back away from the cave with Cameron, who was in wolf form. I couldn't help but be impressed while she fought, ignoring the wounds on her shoulder.

She ducked underneath the creature's paw and slashed up with her spear, the tip of her spear bouncing off of its thick hind.

The beast roared in anger and annoyance, and it swiped at her with a huge claw, trying to catch her off guard, and it did because Malena would have gotten hit if Cameron wasn't paying attention and took the hit.

A loud crunch filled the air when the beast struck him in the ribs, and he went flying over Malena's head before landing in front of the cave with a thud.

I felt a stinging pain in my ribs when the beast struck my mate, and I roared out in both anger and pain, my roar echoing through the mountain range. Anger coursed through my body like a raging fire, and I ran towards the beast, blinded by rage and pain.

The beast turned its head in my direction when I roared and grinned. It landed on all four paws and charged at me, moving at a great speed that shouldn't have been reached because of its massive size.

I snarled and raced to meet this beast, anger filling my body and giving me strength. I dodged the beast's attack, the thirst for blood strong. I knew how to kill this beast, but I didn't want to right off the bat.

No, that would have been painless for the beast. It would've been too quick, too merciful for the beast that harmed my mate.

I wanted to give it a slow and painful death until my thirst for blood ceased. I wanted its head.

So, quick as lightning and staying on the balls of my feet, I lunged and attacked its soft underbelly before dancing out of its way when it roared and lunged at me.

Sweat gleaned from my forehead while I tested this beast's strength and agility, moving with the speed of an enraged Wolf that the beast never had the chance to lay a hand on me. The beast roared in anger and pain with me attacking it, but it couldn't do anything and slowly started to get tired.

"Kill it, Jaz!" Malena yelled, breaking through the haze of red that I was seeing. "We need to go now!"

I snarled at her but did what she said and killed the beast. "Everyone else, alright?" I asked, my voice cold and stuffing the sword back into my sheath. I turned away from the beast and walked over to my mate, hoping that he would at least be conscious.

Cameron opened one eye and offered me a wolfish grin before closing the eye again. He whined and wagged his tail, trying not to show me the pain that he was in.

"I'm sorry," Malena said, walking over to us, clutching her shoulder where she had been injured. "I didn't know where to attack. The beast's hide was thick, and I wasn't paying attention."

I shook my head. "Don't apologize," I replied. "He'd have done it for anyone." I shifted into my wolf form and nuzzled my mate before walking over to his back. Closing my eyes, I let out a gentle breath, praying that I could still heal him like normal.

"How'd you know where to strike the beast?" Samuel asked, walking over to us. "That was amazing. I thought I was going to die."

I stopped healing my mate and scowled at Samuel, not in the mood for his bullshit. For some reason, I had a feeling that he was the reason why they had been attacked.

"He wanted to see what they were," Monroe said, walking over to us, followed by the others. Anger turned his green eyes, and I could tell that he was pissed at Samuel for the injury of both my mate and his daughter. "How is he?"

I shifted into my human form and glared at Samuel before looking at Monroe. "I don't think he will be able to shift back into his human form. I couldn't heal him, and that frustrates me."

Monroe nodded his head. "We'll be able to help him," he promised. "You all do heal fast, faster than we do."

I nodded. "I want Chase and Carter to come with me. The others will go back to base. Is one of them able to make a portal?" I asked, looking at Monroe.

Monroe nodded his head, frowning. He didn't like what I suggested, but I had a feeling that he would not go against what I said, especially since my mate was still lying on the ground at our feet. "Yes," he said. "If need be, I can have Malena stay behind to open it again."

I shook my head. "She's injured. She needs to be checked out and rest." I sent her a warning look, and she shut her mouth but scowled. "If she wants to be ready for the next place, then she needs to rest and heal."

Malena huffed and nodded her head. "Fine," she caved. "But I don't like it."

"What, why just the two of them?" Samuel asked. He looked between Monroe and me, and I could tell that he was dissatisfied with what I "suggested." "Why not me? I am supposed to be researching you." He pointed at me when he looked at Monroe. "I'm supposed to be researching her. Are you going to let her do this?"

"And, you can be killed by her if you stay," Carter said. He plucked the journal and pen from Samuel and moved to my side. "But, I agree with Princess. I think that it'd be best if the three of us continue while the rest of you go down. Who knows what else is out there. The fewer people there are, the better."

Cameron whined, and I looked down at him. He didn't try to stand, but he lifted his head until he looked at me. Be careful, his eyes seemed to say. Please.

I nodded my head. "I will," I promised. I looked at Carter and Chase. "Come on; we need to get going before it gets too late. Adele will be wondering where we are at."

"Just let us know when you make it back safely," Monore said. He looked at Carter and gave him a look. "Not a single hair should be out of place from her head. Do you understand?"

Carter nodded his head and grinned. He was about to place an arm around my shoulder but stopped when I growled. "Yes, Monroe, we'll keep an eye on her. Come on, the faster we get the sword, the faster we can save your pack."

I took in a deep breath, my heart pounding in my chest, and nodded. My whole body vibrated in excitement, and I knew that what he said was true. I only need one more piece of the sword, and it would be completed.

Gods, keep them safe and tell them that I am on my way.