Chapter 14

I looked up the mountain, my lips pursed. It was going to be a long climb up, and I had a feeling that it would take us a couple of days if we didn't come up with a plan to get there faster.

"What are you thinking?" Cameron asked, coming to my shoulder. "Or are you thinking what I am thinking?"

I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye before nodding my head. I could tell that we were thinking the same thing about carrying the six others on our backs.

There had been more, but they were at the base was located here. Only eight people, the two of us and six of them were going to collect the piece.

I turned to look at the six, placing my hands behind my back. "Ok, here's the plan," I said, and they became quiet while they looked at me. "Three of you are going to ride on Cameron's back, and three of you are going to ride on my back. If there is something that we need to worry about, then we will have to come up with something quickly."

"And why don't you know what is happening?" Malena asked. She jutted out her hip and narrowed her eyes at me. "Clearly, you are unprepared."

"Clearly, I don't have any information because people don't tell me shit. Would you like to walk back down with someone else and stay at the base?" I asked, baring my teeth at her.

"No," she replied, jutting out her chin. "You are going to need me."

I snorted and rolled my eyes. "For what?" I asked. "It's not like that you can use your magic to get us there or take us back to base when we get it."

Malena folded her arms across her chest and narrowed her eyes at me. "I am a fighter. You are going to need me to fight someone."

"Like what?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at her. "It's not like you know what we are fighting. Do you?"

Malena opened her mouth to say something but closed it. She looked down her jaw set.

"Exactly," I said. "Now, shut up and get on my back when I shift. Do you understand?"

Malena scowled but nodded. Her eyes held this deep hatred for me, and it was the only thing that we both could agree on.

I bit back a growl of annoyance and looked at the group. "Carter, Monroe, and Malena are on my back. The others are on Cameron's. Samuel, you are in the middle."

"Awww, why am I in the middle?" Samuel asked as Cameron, and I shifted.

"Because," Carter said, walking over to me. He smirked at Samuel when I laid down so the three of them could get on easily. "You are the weakling. You need to be protected."

I rolled my eyes and snapped at Carter, and he snickered and hopped on. I grunted at his weight, but I didn't shake him off because I knew that I would need to get going.

"What? It is the truth, and you know it." He held his hand out for Malena, and I caught Malena's heart skipping a beat. He probably had a smile on his face, but I couldn't tell. "Come on; I am sure that Princess will behave herself so that you can get on."

I rolled my eyes but stayed still. I wanted to shake him off, but I knew that I didn't have time. I watched as my mate stood, everyone on his back.

Cameron looked over at me and gave me a wolfish grin, causing my heart to flutter. He walked over to me and nuzzled my head, and I closed my eyes for a moment.

"Come on, Lovebirds," Carter joked. "You two can have sex later. Let's get going. Everyone is on and ready."

I rolled my eyes and stood. I was aware of the weight that I carried, but I didn't care. I looked at Cameron and raised an eyebrow, and he nodded.

I signaled him to stay behind me before starting to run up the mountain. My gaze was forward, and I felt Cameron start behind me.

I prayed that we wouldn't face anything because I didn't know if I could fight with them on my back.

My duty was to protect them, so I was going to protect them no matter what happened.