0.4 - Jason

I hear a knocking at the door. That must be Brendon and his friend.

I open the door to see Brendon standing there with someone I haven't seen in a long time.

"Jason, this is my friend -" I cut him off.

"Dallon."

I haven't seen Dallon since I decided to stay behind when my family was going back home. If you didn't realize by now, Dallon is one of my older brothers.

"Jason? Where have you been? Are you okay?" He runs over, taking my face in his hands, turning it from side to side.

As Dallon inspects my face, Brendon decides to make sure everyone knows he's still here.

"Dallon? Jason? What's going on?"

Dallon sighs. "You know that little sister that I talk about sometimes? The one that I thought was kidnapped?"

Brendon nods his head, wanting Dallon to continue.

"This is her."

I shake my head.

"You thought I was KIDNAPPED? Who told you that?"

"Mom and dad did. They told us that's why we were leaving."

"That wasn't why you guys had to leave. I had a fight with mom and dad. They spent all of my college savings gambling. There was none left for me. So they took you guys and left, I stayed behind."

At this point, both Dallon and Brendon looked angry.

"They took your savings?!" Dallon was red in the face. "Can't believe them!"

"Dallon, calm down. I'm fine now. I'm still saving up to hopefully get back in. Though it's kind of a long shot. I haven't touched my camera in years."

"Wait, you didn't even go?!"

"Well, no. I had no money for food, much less college. I got a roommate, Cathy, and a job at Starbucks and Target."

"Wait." Brendon jumps back into the conversation. "Why did you tell me earlier that you lost your money in the bank, then?"

"I didn't want to have to admit to someone that my parents STOLE my college money."

Dallon looks at me with shock again. "So, you're telling me, that when you were 18, six years ago, our parents gambled away your college savings, lied about it to us, and then LEFT YOU in California with nothing?"

I look down, ashamed now. "Basically, yeah." This isn't something that I like to go around talking about.

Before I know it, two sets of arms are wrapped around me.

"If it makes you feel any better, I stopped talking to mom and dad a few years ago when I dropped out of college."

I sniffle and nod. "Why'd you drop out of college, though?"

"To do music full time."

I giggle a little. Our parents always told him that music wasn't a real career.

"Have you been okay, though? Like, financially? Why didn't you call me or something?"

I let out a sigh. To be honest, I haven't been financially okay. I've been falling behind on my half of the rent. Cathy has paid for my half occasionally, and even though she says it's fine, I still feel bad.

"Not really, to be honest."

I put my head in my hands and throw myself on the couch.

"Work is tough, with not enough pay. I can't even pay all of my half of the rent most of the time. And I didn't call you because I was embarrassed. After you guys left, I had nobody. I didn't meet Cathy until two years later."

Brendon looked at me and then at Dallon.

"Move in with me."