Chapter 13: The Woman with a Question

Lilly tapped her glass on the bar in front of her, swishing the amber liquid around in the glass in front of her. Her heart was still pounding from standing up on the stage with Carbanaro. She couldn't believe that Jackson had thrown her under the bus and she had actually gone on stage to be a part of the show. She shook the itchy feeling off of her back, scratching her neck as the anxiety began creeping over her. She shut her eyes and began to count backwards from 20 in her head, breathing in and out as evenly as she could. Did I take my medicine this morning? she thought to herself by number 15. She thought back on her day, retracing her steps to the moment her phone went off at 4AM when Germany called. She cursed under her breath, reaching 10; she placed her hands on the bar and leaned backwards into her heels. This isn't going to end well, I need to get out of here, she thought, standing up and draining her glass. She turned around, sliding her glass back to the bartender as she went. She whirled straight into the dark green shirt of Alan Jeffries.

"Oh! Alan, I'm so sorry."

"It's alright," Alan smiled, steading her as she wobbled on her heels. "You okay?"

"Yes," Lilly shook her head. "I'm sorry. I just wasn't expecting to see you there. Is everything alright?"

"Oh yes, yes, everything's fine. I just came from speaking with David."

"Does he need something?" Lilly craned her neck to the back of the hall.

"Actually, yes," Alan placed his hand on her shoulder and guided her to the stage. "He's trying to work out some final details for the premier party and right now Michael Carbanaro is the headline for the party. We were hoping you could convince the Jokers to come and be the headliners."

"What?" Lilly stopped, staring the producer as her heart rate began to spike. "Why me?"

"David and I have noticed that they've taken a shine to you," Alan said, pushing her forward. "It's not often that the a woman can get under the skin of all of our gentlemen."

"I don't...I don't know," Lilly began to stumble over her words.

"Lilly, sweetheart, we aren't blind," Alan chuckled. "You've gotten them to loosen up, to pay attention to you, I mean, your presence alone made them sit through an entire meeting and an entire dinner without causing any mayhem. That's practically unheard of."

"It's because of David, not me," Lilly deflected, wringing her hands. "They know they're around the big guy."

"They think you're a pretty big deal too." Lilly looked back to where she last saw David, hoping to deflect this request on to Jackson. "Lilly, David asked me to ask you. He thinks you're the perfect person to convince them." Lilly held her breath, practically seeing her heart pounding underneath the blood red fabric of her dress. She paused for so long that Alan ducked his head in concern. "Lilly? You don't have to. I'll go talk to them if you're uncomfortable with it."

"No, no," Lilly finally raised her head to meet his eyes. "I can do it. Just...just give me a few minutes, okay?" Alan nodded, a guilty look crossing his face as he put his hands in his pockets. Lilly exhaled sharply before opening the door to the backstage area and marching up the steps. She felt her knees shaking and her palms leaking sweat as she got to the top of the steps. She took a deep breath as Murray spotted her and a wide smile split over his face.

"Hey sweetie," Murray said, stepping through the group to her. "What's going on?"

"Well I've got a question for you," Lilly said, contorting her face into a picture of confidence.

"Okay," Murray smiled, crossing his arms. "Ask away."

"What are you doing next weekend?" Murray stepped back, taken aback.