Chapter 1: Bond of Dragon and Knight

Airelina Frembell, or in short, 'Airi', is my one and only dragonoid partner. She is wearing a white tank top underneath her shockproof blue blazer, and a black short skirt utilized for easier movement in battles. She was a year older than me, but her petite figure makes her more look like a younger sister of mine.

Her butterfly wings-like bow on the back of her head danced as the breeze of the explosion of the ice ball she just deflected.

"Are you okay, Amphy?" She said with a jolly smile. "Like, totally?"

"I told you a thousand times, it's Amphere not Amphy." I groaned. Then I drew one of my photon sabers and showed it to her. "You need a sword?"

Actually, I'm no expert in two-sword style. I'm better off using only one photon saber, and I'm still studying dual wielding. I just used it a few minutes ago without much knowledge about it.

Airi took it and prepared herself into a centered stance, ready to clash with the ice dragon who finally recovered from the impact of its own attack.

The Black Phantom is still there at the head of his dragon. He smiled at us. "You are not going to use Vesryn Pulse?"

"We'll try to kick your ass in this form first! Totally!" Airi shouted, pointing her sword to the flying white dragon.

"You're...the Crimson Dragonfly..." the masquerade's smile faded. There was a long pause. Then he patted his dragon's head. "We're not going to win this, Emy. We should retreat."

Crimson Dragonfly? Is he pertaining to Airi? What is he talking about? Are they going to flee this early?

The ice dragon roared in acceptance of its master's proposal. It flapped its wings and dashed upwards. The strong blow of wind made the bushes in this garden sway. Pink and white petals waltzed through the thin air.

"I'm pretty sure that we will meet again, young Dragon Knight!" The masquerade took his hat off and bowed as he and his dragon soared up in the sky. It was extremely fast that their silhouette in the sky suddenly disappeared.

I can't just trail that fleeing Black Phantom right now. My main purpose is to keep the duchess safe. Chasing the assassin means leaving the manor, and it will leave the duchess vulnerable to another attack. So the best course of action is to do nothing.

I sighed, retracting myself from my surge of adrenaline. Part of me says that I want to fight that man longer, but I can't fight him head on with someone to protect in mind.

"Will you please bring me down now?" It was the duchess, who I was carrying on my right shoulder.

"...O-Oh."

As soon as I brought the duchess down, her face became red. I am certain that she was blushing and embarrassed, but still she mumbled "thanks" to me. I smiled in response.

"Hey, Amphy!" Airi shouted. "HERE'S YOUR TAIYAKI!!!"

Smack! She slapped a paperbag containing hot fish pancakes she just bought earlier! It's really hot that made my cheek suffer from burn! Good thing my reflexes are superb enough to catch the falling fish pancakes and returned it to the paper bag even though it's sweltering.

Airi held her hips again and pushed her face towards me. "Don't you dare leave me again, okay!? Like, totally!"

"Y-Yes ma'am..." I looked away while forcing a smile. How forceful.

"Fufufu..."

I was surprised. The duchess was chuckling. I never knew that this young brat can laugh, given her arrogant serious form.