Chapter 20: Please Trust Me

Amphere Harrison

Estoff's office is still a minimalist type, as ever. The pitch black table on the center of this room only holds one ash tray. There are one or two bookshelves on the corner of the room, and beside it, is a window without a curtain that can be leaned to view the other facilities of the Dragon Knight Academy.

"What brings you here?" Estoff still have this smug on his face while holding a glass of beer. He got his feet on top of his clean desk and leaned to his comfortable chair. "It's pretty rare for you to visit my office here in the academy."

"...I would like to ask you something." I said coldly.

"I also wanted to ask you something. Why are you still wearing that trash?" Estoff pointed at my favorite black metal shirt. "That makes you look a lot more like an idiot."

Okay, I was hurt. I'll donate it to the beggars of the streets later. I looked away, but then Estoff grabbed my attention. "What would you like to know again?"

"...It's about the Crimson Dragonfly...again."

"I told you to ask Airelina about that crap." Estoff snorted. "But I'm pretty sure that what happened in the elimination round has nothing to do with Crimsond Dragonfly, or Airelina."

"...How can you be so sure?" I tilted my head.

Estoff drank up the last droplet of beer on his glass, and then put it down into the table. The silence in this room made the two ice cubes inside the glass made an echoing chime. Then he finally spoke. "No one has ever been made three dragonoids fuse into one ultimate dragon. No one in history. You're the first and the only one who can do that. And that ability of yours... it's a lot more terrifying than the Crimson Dragonfly itself."

There was a chill on my spine as I looked into my hands. My body has been frozen, but my hands and toes are trembling. How could I have such power? I'm a hundred-percent human! My ancestors don't have any knowledge about any magic or witchcraft. I'm the first on my clan to activate a Vesryn Pulse!

Suddenly, I remembered. The white-haired kimono girl. Her crimson red eyes and terrifyingly dark sclera burned an image to my head. "...B-But that wasn't me. Someone...gave me power..." My lips trembled as I said those words.

"Oh." Estoff crossed his arms. "You're quite peculiar. Then who is?"

"A silver-haired kimono girl with red eyes. I don't know how or why, but she...she talked to me inside my mind..."

"Maybe you're just half asleep at that time." Estoff said. "Or maybe your passion in saving your friends made you nuts...just like when you battled General Leviticus to save Airelina."

No, that's not it.

I went back to my dormitory while lost deep in thought. There are too many mysteries to discover, and so far, I've only learnt the Black Phantom's identity! Darn, my head hurts! Maybe I'm over processing things inside my head, but everything doesn't make any sense! And I still have to concentrate on the tournament!

As soon as I opened the door in my room, I got off my Metal Rockz T-shirt and threw it unto the laundry basket. But then, I realized that the lights in my room are on. There were girls that glared me with contempt. Airi, and the president Reina! They are sitting comfortably on the carpet in circles! What the heck are they doing here in my room!?

I shrieked and covered my chest with my arms then stutteringly shouted "W-W-What a-are you d-doing in my room!!!" But then, I was silenced when I realized Emy, who was sleeping safe and sound on my bed. There are a lot of bruises on her face.

"Sssshhh!" Airi jumped on me and pushed her face forward. "For now, cut the comedy! There's something chaotic going on, totally..."

After I calmed down, Airi told me Emy's story. According to her, Emy has been kidnapped after the elimination round. She woke up in a dirty alley two days later, and found bruises all over her body. She never knew what to do until she reached the city proper and discovered the news about her knight, Alder, who was killed by "Black Phantom." Emy immediately went to Reina to ask for some help. Reina can't keep Emy on her mansion because of some racism issues on her family, so she asked Airi to accommodate Emy just for this night.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience, Mister Harrison. The student council and the Chevalier Unit are in great debt. I promise we will repay you." Reina said in a polite manner.

"No, no...It's nothing..." I smiled and scratched my head. Deep inside, I'm wondering how I could sleep for the night.

"Don't worry about it, Amphy!" Airi grinned. Then she poked my stomach with her elbow. "I can still share my bed with you, if you like! Totally! Just don't do anything weird or I'll kill you!"

"Not a chance." I said coldly. How can she talk about killing with such a cute smile?

Reina was about to leave the room when she immediately turned to me and switched to a serious topic.

"Mr. Harrison... If I may ask... Why did you choose to be a Dragon Knight?"

"...Ummm...Er...to earn a lot of money, I guess?" I scratched my cheek. Of course it's a bluff.

"I see...such a shallow reason after all." She sighed and looked disappointed in my answer.

"...How about you?"

"I became a Dragon Knight to kill a certain someone." The fierceness of her eyes ignited stronger than any flames. It was rather horrific.

Then she left. Well, that was creepy.

I turned to Airi who was changing a damp cloth on Emy's forehead. She did it in a tremendously caring manner, like a mother to her sick child. This Emy... She didn't even know what happened to the real Black Phantom. And it looks like she didn't have any answers at all.

Or maybe she knows something. Right. I should ask her about the Crimson Dragonfly.

"Amphy?" Airi turned to me.

I didn't respond. I just glared at her jokingly, but I maintained a serious atmosphere.

"I know that you doubt my loyalty to you...totally." She bowed down. "Is it because of the Crimson Dragonfly?"

"..." I maintained my silence. Is she reading my mind?

Airi sighed, and then held her chest. She made a step close to us and looked into my eyes, as if she is reaching my soul with her bare hands. Then she bowed down in despair.

"I know that you doubt me as your partner, because I hide a lot of secrets from you. You're totally hungry for answers, but I have to tell you...I can't give you what you're looking for... The Crimson Dragonfly, no, me...I... I'm scared." Tears started flowing to her cheeks. "I don't want you to know what doesn't worthy of knowing...so please...

Please trust me, Amphy."