Chapter 1 | The Ground

Emily's POV

Sitting in my cell alone, it's not the first time I seriously doubt my sanity. Colours and shapes flood my vision, people that can't possibly be there stare at me from across the room, whispering, telling me how much they hate me.  I've been in captivity for three months now, and that fateful day still haunts me, the day I was wrongly accused of stealing medical supplies. As I sit daydreaming, guards burst in, and I freak out, I'm not even seventeen yet, surely they can't give me a trial now! One of them cuffs me, and another puts a metal wrist band on my arm. As much as a part of me is freaking out at this unknown protocol, the more logical part of me reasons that something weird is going on. They don't put on metal wrist bands before they float people, and it's illegal to float a minor.
"Please, somebody just tell me what's going on!" I plead trying to pull myself away from the iron hold the guard has.
"Just come with us and don't fight," one of them says in a calm yet hard to define voice. All around me I can see the same thing happening to the other prisoners, many of whom are giving their best efforts to try and escape. I weakly tug my arm away, but feel a needle pressed into my chest. As I begin to slip away from my consciousness, I close my eyes, preparing never to open them again.

                                                                                              *

I wake up to excited squeals and murmurs, but waking up at all surprises me, I thought I was being killed. Opening my eyes, I see that I am strapped into a seat, a space craft seat. Other prisoners surround me, wide awake with excitement. Next to me on one side is Clarke, who is still unconscious, and a nervous looking boy who is peering round the ship with wide eyes. He looks at me, and asks.

"Hey, your dad's on the council, do you know what's going on?" I open my mouth to reply, when a video appears on screen. Wells dad, the chancellor speaks to us in a video.

"Prisoners of the ark, your being sent to the ground.." He starts. The ground! No one has set foot on the ground for 97 years, not since the nuclear war that killed everyone on Earth. The chancellor goes on to explain that we are testing whether the Earth is survivable, and that we are humanities last hope. Well, I got 100% in Earth studies class so I guess I could survive - that is, if the air doesn't kill us in a few minutes. I can't concentrate on the video after that, even the turbulence and shaking of the drop ship doesn't scare me as it normally would. We're going to the ground! Ever since I was a little girl, its always been my dream to go to the ground! I would spend hours gazing at the tree or out of the window in my room. Maybe getting arrested wasn't so bad after all! Suddenly, with one final jolt, the hundred year old ship lands, well, crashes into the ground. Me and Clarke, who is now conscious, rush out of our seats, Clarke goes to check on a boy called Finn, who got hurt in the landing, while I rush down to see the doors opened. An older looking boy goes to open it, when Clarke, who has appeared aside me again, says.

"The air could be toxic." The boy turns around, 

"If the airs toxic we're all dead anyway," a point which no one can argue.

"We can survive longer in the radiation than without water," I point out, though most people would have that much common sense anyway. Suddenly, a girl from the back calls out,

"Bellamy." The boy turns around, and walks over to her.

"Octavia," He replies, before she runs into his arms and gives him a big hug. I instantly remember her as the girl who hid under a floorboard for sixteen years - a record. The boy must be Bellamy, her older brother. He was way too old to be in Juvenile captivity, he must have found a way onto the ship. Its a heart warming reunion, and I see the love in their eyes. I would give anything for someone to love me as much as they loved each other. The other prisoners don't have the common sense to shut up.

"Who are they?"

"Nobody has a brother?"

"That's Octavia Blake, the girl who hid under a floorboard for sixteen years!"  Octavia goes to punch the nearest person, but Bellamy stops her.

"Lets give them something else to remember you by," He smiles.

"Like what?" She asks.

"Like being the first person to set foot on the ground in 97 years." He replies. Octavia smiles, and Bellamy goes to open the door. Everyone waits nervously, to see whether we will live or die from radiation. Suddenly, Bellamy opens the door, outside air flooding in. While Octavia walks to the end of the platform, everything seems to be ok, then, she jumps onto the grass and screams. "WE'RE BACK!"

____________________________________

NOTE 

Tons of people have been commenting that I don't swear, which is true. I don't swear because I don't see a need to and I honestly don't feel comfortable writing it down. It doesn't mean I'm a child or against swearing, I just don't do it myself:)

A/N - 19/01/19

Ok guys so in later stories I do swear, I wrote this when I was 12/13 but personally can't bring myself to reread/edit it, which is why some of the dynamics are slightly off.