Chapter 18 | The Ark

Emily's POV:

A few minutes after Bellamy's long speech about killing the grounders, everyone is in their battle positions, while I am in the dropship with Bellamy, Clarke, Raven and Finn. Bellamy has a model of the camp, and is explaining our strategy and number of bullets.

"Luckily we have the main entrance filled with land mines," Bellamy says.

"Partially mined land mines, thank to Murphy," Raven says sighing.

"Well it is the main entrance, and if the grounders use it we will know," Bellamy points out.  "She also built grenades," Bellamy says, beckoning to a small box.

"That's not many," Clarke says, stating the obvious.

"Again, thank you Murphy," Raven says, and I immediately resent the idiot who I bothered wasting my time and pity on. 

"We'll make em count. Also, if the grounders make it through the front gate, huns and grenades should force them back.

"And then?" I ask, knowing there is no good answer.

"And then we close the door and pray," Raven says after a few moments of extremely uncomfortable silence. 

"Pray what? That metal walls will keep them out because it won't!" I exclaim looking at Bellamy. 

"Then lets not let them get through the gates," Bellamy says, knowing full well that unless someone has a brainwave its game over.  "All fox holes listen up, keep your eyes and ears open, inflict casualties as many as possible. You can hold them off enough to make them turn back. Thats the plan," Bellamy says through the radio.

"That's always your plan, just like the bomb at the bridge." Finn says.

"Well incase you haven't noticed we don't have many choices right now Finn." I say, the tensions of the oncoming fight getting to me.

"It can't be that simple," Clarke mutters to no one in particular. "You said there's fuel in those rockets right? Enough to build 100 bombs," she asks Raven.

"Yeah, so? We have no gun powder," Raven reminds her.

"I don't want to build a bomb, I wan't to blast off." Clarke says, a glint in her eye.

"Draw them in close, fire the rockets, a ring of fire." Raven says, getting it.

"Barbecued grounders, I like it." Bellamy says nodding.

"Will it work?" I ask, inspired by the sudden hope. 

"The wirings a mess down there but yeah. You give them a little time, I'll cook em real good." Raven says, and we all smile, though I'm secretly disturbed at how pleasant the idea of frying people has actually come.

                                                                                                  *

I'm with Clarke and Finn working at the bottom of the drop ship.

"Raven, we can't find the ignition system," I shout up to Raven, who is at the top of the ship. There is no reply.

"Raven," I ask, worried.

"I can't feel my legs," I hear from up stairs, a weak voice filled with pain and fear. 

"Hold on we're coming," Clarke shouts, as we rush up to Raven, who is sitting with her back propped up against the wall. I hold Raven foreword while Clarke pulls up the bottom of her top slightly, revealing very obvious internal bleeding. Be and Clarke exchange glances, knowing that this isn't good.

"That bad huh," Raven says, putting on a strong look even though we know how much pain she must be in. We don't say anything, what can we say? 'Your stuffed' would not help at all. Instead I push Raven back against the wall.

"Raven, the bullets in your spine. Your bleeding internally," Clarke says what I couldn't, or wouldn't. Finn sighs, and I know despite the fact he and Raven are no longer dating, that he really has feelings for her.

"We better do this fast then huh?" Raven sighs. "Get back down there," She says.

"What if we could slow the bleeding?" Finn asks suddenly, looking me in the eye.

"Oh course that would help, can you tell me how to do that?" I reply.

"The stuff the grounders had, you said that Lincoln had some to. I'm betting that there's more of it in his cave. If I can get there," Finn starts, before Raven stops him.

"Woah wait a second, no." She says shaking her head.

"I can make it," Finn says.

"Tell him he's being an idiot," Raven sobs.

"Raven, if you die, we all die." Finn says, going down the ladder. I don't know if I will ever see him alive again, aside from all the grounders, if he doesn't get back before we launch the rockets, he's toast like the rest of them. There are tears in Clarke's eyes as well, and I try to smile to lift the mood, then awkwardly stop, realising it's not the time.

"Clarke you go down stairs and sort the ignation out, I'll stay with Raven," I suggest. Clarke nods, and goes downstairs. I stay with Raven, but I end up just sitting around, as Raven want's to work alone, and she isn't really strong enough for conversation. Suddenly, I hear the sound of drums coming from outside, and close my eyes and hug my legs into chest. I'm not ashamed to say I'm afraid, as I think fear is an acceptable thing to feel when an army of savages is about to come and kill you and everyone you know. Even if by some miracle I survive or they take prisoners, there is no change of Bellamy surviving, as he is one of the main soldiers, and most of my friends are soldiers or other types of leaders. 

"You ok?" Raven asks, though it's filled with sarcasm, as she's the one with internal bleeding.

"Yeah, I never did like violence," I say quietly. "Raven, give us a shout if anything is wrong, I'm going to go help Clarke." I make my way downstairs, and see Clarke trying and failing to connect two wires.

"Let me help," I whisper, taking the two wires and fusing them together.

"What are you doing, you should be with Raven!" Clarke says.

"Raven doesn't need help on the wires, and no offence, but you do. Anyway, I need something to do to take my mind of, you know," I say, as a gunshot goes off, followed by shouts. I peek out of the curtain, afraid of what I'll see, though to my surprise everything seems to be normal. Before Bellamy had gone to his station, we had said goodbye. We had kissed, though it had been filled with sadness at the though of never seeing each other again. I hear more gunshots outside, yet nothing happens. I rush outside, and know that the grounders are trying to get them to waste bullets, so I grab my radio and say,

"Bellamy, they're trying to get us to waste our bullets." Bellamy replies,

"She's right, only fire if your sure they're attacking," He says, and I put my walkie talkie down, returning to Clarke, who is frantically trying to locate a wire.

"What are you looking for?" I ask her.

"An orange wire," She says pushing aside a few wires, and there it is. 

"Hey, we found it!" Clarke says into her radio.

"About time! Now follow the wire to the override panel," Raven instructs, however the wire is fried at the end, rendering it useless.

"Raven, its fried, completely useless. Tell me isn't as bad as I think?" Clarke says.

"You know how to splice a wire?" Raven asks, and I light us.

"No," Clarke says. 

"Yes!" I exclaim at the same time as Clarke.

"When did you learn that?" Clarke asks me in surprise.

"I took an engineering course right before I got arrested, that kind of stuff interested me," I say, cutting off part of the wire, then reconnecting some. However as soon as I've done that, Raven says for us to do something even more complicated.

"Raven, I don't know how!" I say, feeling like I'm letting her down.

"Wait, Jasper does, he helped me with the minefields! I'll call him over now," Raven says, and we are soon joined by a slightly annoyed looking Jasper. 

"Raven, what's next?" Jasper says once he's done, however there is no reply. We rush upstairs, and find an unconscious Raven.

"Is she...?" Jasper starts.

"No, but soon," Clarke states, when a message comes through on someones radio.

"THEY'VE BROKEN THROUGH! THERE'S HUNDREDS ON THEM MAN! GAME OVER!" We all exchange worried looks, however we don't give up.

"Jasper, you continue with the wire, Emily, we're going to get some people inside," Clarke commands, as Jasper goes off chanting some engineering rhyme, and I follow Clarke outside, where there is absolute chaos, people shooting and running for their lives.

"We need more time! Gunners stay at your posts, everyone else into the drop ship!" Clarke commands, as many worried people rush into the drop ship, many sporting arrow wounds or cuts. Me and Clarke are standing ushering people into the drop ship, when we hear a loud explosion and look up at the sky, where a huge bolt of fire is falling out of the sky.

"Is that from the ark?" Harper asks from our side.

"That is the ark."

___________________________________________

So I hope you like this chapter! This book is almost complete now!