Chapter 19 | War

Emily's POV:

Looking up at the ark in awe, I imagine all of the people on it - My mother, father, and the adults. In many ways, having the guard down on earth would be an amazing thing, but the fact still remains that once they come down, they will have complete control. The ark breaks away into smaller stations, and some of them explode, scattering flaming rocks around the atmosphere, but a few of the stations float gracefully down to earth, landing somewhere in the distance. This seems to make the grounders panic, and suddenly the fight intensifies, grounders everywhere and war chants echoing. However soon it becomes clear that there yodelling sounds are more than war chants.

"Reapers," Clarke whispers, amazed.

"The crazy cannibals?" I ask in horror, however, we soon see that Finn and Lincoln are leading the reapers, right into our fight. There are hundreds of reapers, and although there are many more grounders, the reapers provide a good distraction and time saver. As the grounders and reapers begin to fight each other rather than us, Finn runs up to us, giving Clarke a hug.

"What did you do?" Clarke asks him.

"I kicked the hornets nest," Finn replies smiling.

"You brought the reapers!" Clarke exclaims.

"I bought us some time. How's Raven?" Finn asks, and my heart sinks, as Raven fell unconscious minutes ago now. 

"She's not good," I say, and Finn notices that I'm there to.

"The rockets aren't ready, Jasper's working on them now." Clarke explains to him, leading us to the drop ship.

"Jasper! What's plan B?" Finn asks.

"Jasper was plan B," I say, showing Finn Raven. Finn passes Clarke the medicine, which she then injects into Raven's torso. Suddenly Miller rushes in,

"Clarke, they've taken down the gate!" They exclaim, as we hear the thud of metal outside. 

"Good, because I think I did it!" Jasper says, climbing up the ladder.

"I'm closing that door!" Miller shouts.

"Wait! We've still got people out there," I say, thinking of Bellamy.

"Alright Jasper did it everybody inside!" Clarke shouts, as many frightened people run into the drop ship, escaping the living hell going on outside. I pull Clarke away from a bullet that barely misses her head, then spot Bellamy in the distance. Finn runs to him, however as Bellamy runs to us, a grounder whacks him in the head with a club, knocking him out. The grounder pulls a knife to Bellamy's neck.

"He's killing him!" I sob, and I'm ready to go and cut that grounders head of when Finn grabs a gun and shoots the grounder straight in the head. Finn sustains an injury to his leg, and can no longer walk.

"Clarke come on! You can't save everybody!" Miller shouts,  and looking at Finn and Bellamy lying on the ground one last time time, Clarke grabs me and pulls me into the drop ship.

"NO! BELLAMY!" I scream, trying to pull away, but Miller grabs me and stops me running away, while I watch as Clarke, tears in her eyes, pulls the lever that closes the door. Just as the door is almost closed, Anya, the leader and person that tortured me, leaps in, pulling out two knives.

"Jasper, now!" Clarke exclaims, however when Jasper pushes the button, nothing happens. I breathe a sigh of relief,  when Anya screams and swings her knives about, and while everyone in the drop ship attacks her, I notice Jasper fiddling about with a wire. Miller goes to stab Anya with the knife, when I grab his wrist.

"Emily, she deserves to die!" He exclaims.

"No, we are not grounders!" I shout. After that everything happens so fast, everyone looks at me, then Jasper, who pushes two wires together. Suddenly, the whole ship turns and shakes, momentum building up, until we hear the sound of screams and explosion outside, and I know that Bellamy, the one person that I've ever loved, is probably dead. However hope keeps me from crying, and when someone opens the drop ship, we have to face what we have done. Bodies, bodies everywhere, burnt black, the closest complete charcoal. Smoke everywhere, but the skeleton's are so burnt they could have been dead for a hundred years. I look down at one and fall to my knees, realising that this could be Bellamy, or Finn, or another of our people.  I know for certain that it is a human being. The feeling of guilt and grief takes over, when all of a sudden, something flies to my feet, a line of red smoke. 

"What the hell?" I hear Jasper mutter behind me.

"Mountain men," Anya gasps, when I collapse, coughing and choking on the red fog that now surrounds us all. The last thing I remember seeing before I black out, were people in gas masks circling us, lasers pointed at out heads.

                                                                                                  *

When I wake up to classical music, I realise that for the first time in weeks, I'm lying on a bed. An actual bed! I open my eyes slowly, and gasp when I see the roof, while with huge lightbulbs. Sitting up, I notice that everything is white, the walls, a table, I'm even wearing while leggings and a black top! The only thing that adds colour to the room, is a painting of a lake, waves swirling. Then my brain catches up to me and I actually cry as I remember the past events, guilt, grief, plain sadness. The only hope the ark we saw come to the ground. I run up to the door, but am stopped half way by a cord attached to my arm. Pulling it off, I run up to the circular window, and see Jasper through a hallway and another door.

"Jasper!" I scream, catching his eye, when I see a sign next to the door, and freeze.

Mount Weather Quarantine Ward. 

_______________________________________

I've finally finished this book! Look at the authors note next page for info on the sequel!