40.) Parting

-Sophia's POV-

"I wonder how long it's going to be before my dad finally catches onto you," I cut through the comfortable silence, my voice seeming louder than I had originally intended.

I sat on the floor of my room in the mafia house doing my civics homework. Alex had homework too, I knew he did but for some reason his phone seemed a hell of a lot more important right now. He laid on his back on the floor with me, his head resting on my thigh.

"It's been a couple weeks. He's definitely noticed that I come in here," Alex said plainly, his eyes never once leaving his phone's screen. "He's just trying to think of a clever way to confront me about it without setting you off."

I nodded and tried to suppress a laugh. He just didn't seem to be in a lighthearted kind of mood right now. I guess he hadn't ever been recently and it was really starting to bring my mood down, "What's wrong?" I questioned, dropping my pencil and my notebook.

"Nothing."

I snatched his phone away and to my complete surprise, he didn't even protest.

"I know that's a lie. I'm not stupid," I stood up, Alex's head dropping onto the carpeted floor quickly and he still didn't say anything. "Just leave. I want to go to sleep," I crawled onto my bed, the cold sheets only making me more uncomfortable.

"I hate being here," Alex mumbled just after I turned the lamp off, darkness washing over the room. "Don't get me wrong, Soph, I love spending all of my time with you, it's just...everyone else," I felt the bed dip a little bit before he crawled under the covers with me, his arm wrapping around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"I get it, but what do you want to do about it? Your birthday is in like...a week."

"I'm going to visit Greece," he said so simply, like it was nothing.

"Greece?! What for? You're going to leave me here to deal with all of this?!" I shot out of the bed and threw the lights on.

"Come with me then."

I didn't say anything, I just left the room, completely, one hundred percent done with everything.

How could he ask me something like that? Like I could so easily walk away from everything I had here.

I walked down the length of the hallway before barging into my dad's office. He stood in the middle of the room, wrapping a scarf around his neck. The man was completely dressed up and ready to brace the cold weather outside. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Your mother is craving Starbucks and I wouldn't really mind some either. Would you like to come with me?"

I nodded, "It's kinda late though, don't you think?"

It was nearing ten o'clock and I needed to be up by six for school tomorrow so I really had to weigh my options.

"Well, I have to be up for a couple more hours and I'm starting to dose off. I need some coffee."

I wasn't going to ask why he needed to be up, he would have told me the reason if it was something he wanted to share anyways.

"Why are you even awake?" He asked me, obviously it wasn't too much of a big deal though, "It's a school night."

I shrugged before following him out of the room, staying close to him like a lost puppy would, "I don't like going to sleep because I know what's awaiting me as soon as I wake up."

"Which is?" He asked as we both got into the car, the leather seats jolting me awake.

"...Morning sickness."