17: St Mungos

Draco's blood went icy cold.

"You-you.... You don't remember me?" His voice shook with nerves.

"No..." Hermione seemed unsettled. "Was I.... Was I supposed to?" She knitted her eyebrows.

"Kind of!" Draco exclaimed, holding a hand to his forehead. Hermione studied his face, squinting her chocolatey brown eyes. The blonde was about to intervene but the brunette held out her hand to silence him.

"No, no.... Don't tell me...." She began, waggling her finger, "you're a, you're a magician!" Her face was in a big pathetic grin. Draco felt nauseously sick.

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, silly, because of that magic wand you have in your hand!" She pointed to the sleek black length of wood grasped between Draco's pale fingers.

"Oh, right.... Um, Hermione? You don't remember that you can do magic as well? You're very good at it, e-even if I do say so myself". Hermione's eyes widened to the size of saucers.

"You mean magic is real?" She squeezed Draco's arm in excitement.

Oh brother he muttered under his breath. This couldn't be happening!

"Yeah, it's-it's real alright. Are you sure you're not just pulling my leg, Granger? Can't you remember anything about the wizarding world?"

"Wizards? Magic? Wands? Oh my goodness, this is so awesome!" Hermione spun around dramatically in a circle. "This is super cool!"

"Merlin's arse!" Draco exclaimed, feeling like all happiness and hope was lost. "I want to freaking kill my father, I want to-" it then just dawned on the blonde that they were still in the dingy dungeon that Hermione had been held captive in only minutes ago and where Lucius Malfoy had killed himself. Drifting his eyes along the dusted floor, he met the sight of his father's lifeless body lying crookedly on the ground, with eyes open and glassy. It wasn't a pretty sight.

"Wait a sec, mister" Hermione prodded Draco's chest accusingly. "How do I know you're not lying about magic and wizards? Show me a trick!"

"Well, I-" as if on cue, Olivia Wetherstein stirred and sat up, taking in her surroundings. She let out a high pitched squeal when she saw Lucius's body. She shook with anger and turned to Hermione and Draco and readied her fists, since her wand had skirted off into the shadows. "Stupefy!" Draco thrust his wand towards Olivia, sending the hex and smashing her back to the ground. He turned to Hermione with a broad smile on his face.

"Now do you believe me?" Hermione nodded in awe at Draco's question. He almost wanted to be relieved, but then he remembered that the girl whom he loved didn't even remember who he was. All of a sudden, Hermione collapsed onto the floor in pain. Crouching, Draco went to her side. "What is it?"

"There's agony..." Hermione moaned, "everywhere".

"You've been crucioed an insane amount of times. We need to get to St Mungos immediately" Draco informed hastily. He picked up Hermione bridal-style and carried her out of the dungeons, leaving his father's body and Olivia behind. Once they were in the hallway, in a flip of a shadow, the had disappeared.

They emerged in a brightly-lit room that smelt of rubber gloves and disinfectant. Witches and wizards of all shapes and sizes sat anxiously on brown padded chairs. Some with skin abnormalities and others sprouting cat ears or dragon tails. A handful of nurses and doctors hurried through the room wheeling a squeaky bed with a figure lying on it that appeared to have long, thick, black hair covering every inch of it's body. Gulping, Draco hurried to the front desk, not even caring he pushed through the long line of waiting wizards and witches.