20: The Waiting Room

The ring in Draco's pocket seemed to bury into his skin, reminding him of it's existence. And without any dilly-dally, aimless wandering or going into more shops, Draco apparated away. Yep, in front of countless muggles but really at that point who cared? He arrived with a pop into the waiting room, immediately the smell of rubber gloves burning his nostrils.

He sprinted down the hall into Hermione's room and with a lump in his stomach, the curtains were drawn around her bed. He ripped them open, expecting to see the frail love of his life lying under the sheets, however the bed was empty and the sheet was folded neatly.

"Where is she?!" Draco yelled, causing three nurses to run into the room frantically.

"Are you alright sir?" Asked one, holding Draco's shoulders firmly. He was shaking.

"Where is Hermione Granger?" He asked madly. The shortest nurse looked down at her feet and sighed.

"Oh love" she said, shaking her head.

"What? WHAT?" Draco was acting wild. He had a stabbing feeling in his stomach and a dizziness in his head. The other two nurses looked at each other, a look of sheer confusion on their faces.

"She was weak. It was an unevenly matched fight with death" she continued "she didn't even make the night". Draco's heart sunk into his toes. It was like his happiness that he had only recently felt had been sucked out of him like he'd been the victim of a dementor.

"Oh would you shut up Eloise!" The older looking nurse smacked the little one upside the head. She turned to Draco apologetically and said, "I'm so very sorry sir. Eloise is my daughter and its 'take your child to work day'" she smiled with her mouth, but not with her eyes. "She's a bloody idiot and she made all that stuff up. Your lovely Hermione is in room 934. Made a miraculous recovery she did".

What in MERLIN'S BEARD? Draco felt a hot rush of emotions. A few seconds ago he had been the happiest man alive, and now the saddest, and now..... He was so angry at that pathetic Eloise! What if he had killed himself right there and then when he was told the faux news! How funny would that have been?

"I want to strangle you" he said simply to Eloise. She replied to him with no emotion, just a plain look. And with that, Draco sprinted  out of the room and down the hall. Room 934 was only a few doors down. He opened it with a creak and heard soft, calming voices on the other side of the door.

In room 934, Hermione was sitting up in the thin hospital bed, looking tired and weak but on the mend. Doctor Willowbow sat on the edge of the bed with his wand scribbling notes down for him.

"And do you feel any pain while talking?" He asked Hermione, to which she replied,

"No, I only feel a slight itch in my throat-" she looked up, and her brown eyes rested on Draco who was currently sliding quietly into the room. "-other than that I'm fine" she continued with a smile on her face. "Hello Draco" she said. Willowbow turned around and as he saw the blonde boy he shot up on his feet and beamed.

"Mr Malfoy! I was just about to send you an owl! The recovery did not take two weeks as I predicted! After a couple more tests, Miss Granger should be good to go!"

"Brilliant" Draco said airily.

"I need to test her magic ability in the hexing room. If you want you can wait in the waiting room down the hall to the left" Willowbow nodded his head and began to wheel Hermione's hospital bed towards the door. Before they reached it, Draco stuck out his foot in front of the wheels, sending the bed to an immediate halt. He leant down to Hermione's level and without hesitation, he began to kiss her. At first, the brunette was surprised but after a second she joined in. Draco felt Hermione's soft hands bury themselves deep within his hair and grasp tightly. He was so in love with this girl.