1

"Liz!" A loud knock hit my door following a few others, then another shout from my twin brother Matt. "Lizzie it's time to go, school starts in less than a half an hour, come on!"
I groaned and rolled over, burying my face in my pillows. I muffled, "go away Matty!"
A pause of silence.
Then finally, "I'll be in the car. Be ready in 10 or I'm leaving your ass."
His footsteps trailed away from my door. My eyes trailed over to my alarm clock which read in beeping neon numbers 8:02 AM . A groan escaped and I made one last stretch and rolled out of bed.
My feet hit the wooden floor and sent chills up my body. I made my way over to my closet, wincing with every cold step I took. Finally I made my way onto my rug and began searching through my clothes.
It's the first Friday of my Junior year and I'm already sick of school.
I pulled on a pair of dark Levi's with a Rolling Stones t-shirt and combat boots. With a sigh, I combed through my hair and quickly pulled my dark brown hair into a messy bun. I rolled my eyes. It's Friday, no need to look pretty. I grabbed my backpack and swung it onto my back and made my way downstairs.
Mom was standing over the sink washing dishes from breakfast, which I had slept over. My moms in her late 30s and almost always had mascara smudged under her sleep deprived eyes. Raising 17 year old twins and a 5 year old alone is harder than it seems.
Mom looked up with a smile. "Morning sunshine." I walked over beside her and kissed her cheek. My mom is practically my best friend. Ever since my dad passed away when I was 13 my mom has always been there for me. The year my dad passed away is also the year I told my family I was into chicks and not dicks. Which they were cool with.
"Morning mom." I said back with a smile.
"Matt is waiting out in the car for you, you know?" She went back to scrubbing syrup off of my 5 year old brother Mason's plate.
"On my way now." I spun on my heel of my boot and made my way towards the door of our apartment. "Bye mom."
"Bye, wait! Liz, I almost forgot."
I had my hand on the door knob and turned around towards her.
"I work late at the factory tonight so that means you'll need to pick Mason up from school okay?" She had a look saying please help me out.
I nodded "No problem."
"Thank you, Lizzie. Oh and good luck with your swim tryouts today." She winked.
Shit! I forgot I had swim tryouts. My feet took of down the hall and into my bedroom. I began digging through my clothes and finally found my swimming gear. I breathed a sigh of relief and sprinted back to the front door. "Bye mom love you!" And took off out the door not waiting for a response.
Matt was tapping impatiently against the steering wheel of his rustic red junk car. I opened the door with a loud creak and slid into his carpeted seats. I slammed the door shut, cramming my swim gear into my backpack.
"Hey now! Careful with my baby. She's sensitive." Matt pet the steering wheel as if he were comforting his junk car. I looked at him as if he were stupid. No he is stupid.
"Can we go now?" I clicked my seatbelt on and turned up the radio. The car began rolling in motion as we made our way the school.