Chapter 2: The Abominable Bride

Lestrade starts to describe the scene to the four of you: A woman, dressed in a wedding gown and a matching head dress with the veil flipped back on her head, was standing on a balcony outside an upper story window on the other side of London.

She was wielding two long-barreled pistols in each hand and shooting at random people on the streets continuously saying the word "You" over and over.

"When was this?" Sherlock asked him.

"Yesterday morning." Lestrade replied.

"The bride's face. How was it described?" asked Sherlock as he stood up from his chair and walked past the Inspector.

You knew he was trying to picture the scene in, what he calls, his mind palace. "Um...white as death, mouth like a crimson wound." Lestrade said as he consults with his notebook.

"Poetry or truth?" You asked him.

He looked up at you and said "Many would say they're the same."

Sherlock closes his eyes and lets out a sigh. "Yes, idiots. Answer her, poetry or truth?" Sherlock said.

"I saw her face myself. Afterwards." Lestrade said.

Sherlock turn back towards him. "After what?" You and Sherlock asked, in unison.

Lestrade, then, revealed that the bride actually shot herself, a gunshot wound to the head. "Really, Lestrade? A woman blows her brains out in public and you need help identifying the guilty party. I fear Scotland Yard has reached a new low." Sherlock said, making his way back to his chair.

"That's not why I'm here." Lestrade argued.

"I surmise." replied Sherlock.

John pulled out his notebook and started taking notes. "What was her name, the bride?" He asked.

"Emelia Ricoletti. Yesterday was her wedding anniversary. The police, of course, were called, and her body taken to the morgue." answered Lestrade.

"Standard procedure." Sherlock mumbled.

"Why are you telling us what maybe presumed?" You asked, curious about what has made the Inspector nervous.

"Because of what happened next. Thomas Ricoletti, Emelia's husband, walked out of the Limehouse, just a few hours later." Lestrade started to say but was interrupted by Sherlock.

"Presumably on his way to the morgue to identify her remains." Sherlock stated as Lestrade drinks from his glass and nods. "As it turned out, he was saved the trip."

You look at him, questionable, as he continued. Apparently Emelia was, somehow, alive and met up with her husband outside the Limehouse. That is where she shot him and a young police constable was there when it happened.

According to him, when Mrs Ricolette started to walk away it looked like the back of her skull was blown off. When the constable chased after her, she vanished. "'Til death do us part. Twice, in this case." You said, jokingly.

"Extraordinary." exclaimed John.

"Impossible!" Mary whispered.

Sherlock stood up from his chair and said "Superb! Suicide as street theater; murder by corpse. Lestrade, you're spoiling us. Watson and (l/n), your hat and coats." He walks up to the doorway and takes his dressing gown off and puts his jacket on, while you and Watson stand up.

"Where are we going?" John asked him.

"To the morgue." Sherlock replied.

You clap your hands together and say "Well then, there's not a moment to lose...which one can so rarely say of a morgue." Sherlock chuckles at this.

"And am I just suppose to sit here?" Mary asked.

"Not at all, my dear. We'll be hungry later!" John said to her as he placed a finger under her chin then he turn back to Sherlock.

"Holmes, just one thing?" He asked and looked down at his clothes. "Tweeds, in a morgue?" He asked.

"Needs must when the devil drives, Watson." Sherlock replied as he and John walked down the stairs. Lestrade bows to Mary and follows suit.

You start to walk out but Mary stopped you. "(Y/N), can I ask you something?" Normally, you and Mary always were civilized to one another but when you start calling each other by the first name, you knew it was something serious. "Why do you put up with him?" She asked. You turn back to face her and give her a small smile.

"You know as much as I do, that you and I are not like other women. We like to live the dangerous life." You said, for you knew of her secret job and who she actually works for but promised not to tell John. "I guess that's why he keeps me around. Just like your husband, I live for the thrill of the chase."

You walked back to the doorway when Mary asked. "Do you love him?"

This stopped you and made you think. To be honest, you didn't know what you felt towards the Detective. You knew it was strong but you didn't want to call it love. You were hurt so many times in the past that you gave up on love, or at least you thought you did.

When you first met Sherlock, he already told you that he doesn't so relationships and you told him you understood, neither were you at the time at least but now it's different.

You turn back to Mary. "Care for him, yes. Love him? I don't know." You said and at that moment you hear Sherlock yell for you. "(y/n)! Are you coming?"

You smile at Mary and walk down the stairs. "Sorry, Holmes. Mrs Watson asked me a personal question. Nothing for you to worry about." You replied because Sherlock gave you a somewhat concern look but he turned around, put his hat on and walked out the door with Lestrade.

You were putting your coat on, when John came up to you. He was about to say something but you held up your hand.

"Watson, I know you are going to apologize but don't worry we both said something's we didn't mean. I should be the one to apologize because it wasn't my place to get in between you and your wife. You know I have a temper, Watson. It's a curse I must bear." You said and John chuckled at this. You smile at him and give him a hug.

Once you two get outside, you see that Sherlock hailed a cab and was getting inside. You sat next to Sherlock, because he insisted, and Leatrade and John sat across from you two.

As the cab starts to move Sherlock asked "Who's on mortuary duty?"

"You know who." Lestrade replied.

You rolled your eyes as Sherlock said, exasperated. "Always him." And off to the morgue the four of you went.