Chapter 7: Professor Moriarty and a Short Exile

Few days later, you answer the door and see Lestrade, who had some reporters following him asking about all the cases involving the Bride. Once Lestrade entered the flat, you shut the door as fast as you could. "Good Lord!" Lestrade exclaimed.

"Afternoon, Inspector. If you're here for Mr Holmes, I'm afraid you've wasted your time." He gives you a confused look and you lead him upstairs.

While you lead him upstairs, Sherlock was sitting cross-legged facing the fireplace; the backs of his hands rest on his knees and his index finger of each of his hand touching the thumb as if he is meditating, and in his mind palace. He looks through all of the newspaper clips of all the deaths that claim it was the Bride that caused this.

You open the door and see that Sherlock hasn't moved, still. "He's been like this for two days." You whispered to Lestrade. "Has he eaten?" He asked you. "No, not a morsel." You said.

"Press are having a ruddy field day." Lestrade said.

"Oh I know, they've been out there for a few days now. I can't get rid of them and my aunt has been rushed off her feet making tea." You reply. He looks at you, confused.

"Why's she making 'em tea?" He asked.

"I don't know." You answered and the both of you look back at the unmoving Sherlock.

Normally, Sherlock would want you near him when he goes to his mind palace but this time he asked you not to bother him. You didn't like it but you accepted it and did what he asked. "He said there's only one suspect and then he walks away, and now he won't explain." said Lestrade, obviously annoyed. "Which is strange, because he likes that bit." You reply with a smirk.

"Said it was so simple, I could solve it." He said.

"I'm sure he was exaggerating." You replied.

Lestrade looks over at you, wrinkles his nose and looks back at Sherlock. "What's he doing, do you think?" He asked.

"He said he's waiting."

"For what?"

You look back at Lestrade and whisper "The devil."

He stares at you again confused but you shake your head. "Well wire me if there's any change." He replied as he heads down the stairs. "Yeah." You said, not taking your eyes off of Sherlock.

"Oh, Sherlock." You whispered and, quietly, shut the door.

When the door shut, Sherlock picked up a newspaper from the floor and moves it to reveal a small case with a syringe inside of it. He reaches down and gently caresses the syringe with one finger, then picks it up.

As he looks down at it, he remembers the promise he made to you. He promised that he would never do this on a case, but for this particular case he needed it. He lifts his eyes up as he made his decision. He knew you would be angry but he can deal with that later.
"I'm sorry, (y/n)." He whispered, softly.

Some time afterwards, Sherlock is back in his meditating position when he hears the floor creak. He frowns slightly and turns his head in the direction of the sound, eyes still closed. The floor creaked again and then footsteps could be heard. "Everything I have to say has already crossed your mind." said the familiar voice, behind him. "And possibly my answer has crossed yours." Sherlock replied, quietly.

"Like a bullet." The voice said.

Sherlock opens his eyes and gets up on his feet, putting his right hand in his pocket.

Standing there in front of the right-hand window, Professor Moriarty. "It's dangerous habit, to finger loaded firearms in the pocket of one's dressing gown. Or are you just pleased to see me." He said, smiling then cracks his neck.