Chapter 2: The Hybrid

The library we walked into was huge! It was truly a sight to see. The students buzzed around quietly, examining the unique structure and shape of the interior.

My eyes drifted from place to place, as I gazed at the beauty of it all.

"Wow. This is- I don't even know how to explain it.", Savannah whispered to me.

"Yeah. It's gorgeous", I responded. Our tour guide huddled us into a big group around Mr. Harding.

"Alright. First off, you need to keep quiet. Second, we will be split into two groups. The first will go on a tour of the library and the second group will stay here and find a book to research on. When we finish with it all, we will share what we have learned outside. We have 4 hours here total. Please spend it wisely.", He looked down at his clipboard and began separating the students.

"A-J goes on the tour first. K-Z stays here with Ms. Keyes to find a book.", he said quietly. Savannah looked at me with a frown.

"Guess were not together on this one.", I said. She whined at bit.

"Welp. See you at lunch I guess. Bye!", she waved as she followed the group and the tour guide. I pulled off my jacket and walked over to an empty table.

"Hey Dakota. Did you find a book yet?", My friend Demi whispered. I shook my head no.

"Wanna find one together?", he asked.

"Uh...sure.", I said quickly averting my eyes from his. I could feel him smiling at me. He practically knew I was crushing on him.

I followed him down one of the book aisles to the art section. He and I were art lovers. We drew things for each other almost all of the time.

"I saw some cool stuff back here." He said with a small sparkle in his light brown eyes. Looking down, his chestnut hair fell onto his white peachy skin making him look like an exaggerated model.

I chuckled a bit at the thought.

"Ooo, look what I found.", he said with intrigue. He handed me an old looking book that was filled with art tutorials.

"Ah, cool. Its really super old though.", I said blowing some dust away from the pages.

"Yeah, it still looks cool.", he said taking the book from my hands and  sliding it back into the shelf.

"There's more stuff over here. I'm gonna go look.", I said while walking down the aisle. The cases were stuffed with books! There was no sight of any gaps or openings at all.

"Must have a lot books.", I said. Glossing my eyes over a shelf that I had just approached, I reached out my hand to pick up a book that was lying crooked.

The book was definitely an odd looking one. It had a large infinity symbol on the front. Its edges were singed like it had been through multiple fires.

Overall the book was strangely impressive with its appearance. I lifted my finger to touch it.

"O-ow...", I winced as I grabbed my finger tip. A red liquid dripped down my finger onto my palm.

"I got pricked...", I said to myself in confusion. It stung a little but it was nothing too bad. I looked around the area for a bathroom I could use, but not before staring oddly at the book that had pricked me. Shaking it off, I walked firmly to the other side of the library, careful to not draw any attention.

Stepping inside, I noticed the lights were off. A small window that was high up, let in a tiny bit of light. I looked around for a light switch. Nothing. I moved around a bit, hoping that the light were motion sensored .
Still no.

"Oh well..I just need to wash my hands anyways.", I said flipping up the dated faucet handle. The water was slow to come out, and it was freezing cold. Rinsing off my finger, I grabbed a napkin and dried it.

"A whole two hours in here....", I mumbled.

"Watch! Look! Listen!" , a voice screamed at me.

"Wha-", I stopped talking when a sharp burning pain went off inside my mouth. Clenching my jaw I looked at my mouth in the mirror. It looked fine.

I grazed my tongue across my teeth and got a very interesting surprise.

"Oh my god...", I panicked as I began to push on my extremely loose canines.

Two, four, six, eight teeth had fallen from my mouth.

"Oh god... Oh god no.", I panted heavily. Sweat formed on my forehead and my heart raced. I looked at the teeth that had fallen into my hands.

I was shaking uncontrollably.

"Aagh! God..." I yelled as I dropped my teeth and clenched the counter. My body temperature was rising and I could hardly breathe.

My mouth which was now in searing pain, had began to grow sharp white stumps in place of my missing teeth. I lifted up my lips to see my bright red gums, which were being ripped through by the growth of long white fangs, two on my top and two more on the bottom.

I screamed as four more teeth ripped in right beside my top and bottom fangs.

My heart raced and my head spun. My sight was dwindling to nothing as purple sparks of light flashed through my eyes.

"Oh god...", I cried. Looking up in the mirror gave me another surprise.

My eyes had changed color.

They had went from a solid brown, to a bright vermilion and green.  This only gave me another reason to panic.

Just as I thought things couldn't get any worse, I collapsed onto the ground in agony. Trying to pick myself up, I felt my head get heavy.

It was then when I noticed my hair and its sudden extreme length. My hair fell in long curls down to my calves.

"What? Oh god...it hurts", I panted as I wiped my hair off of my sweaty face.

My breathing was rapid and my throat became dry. Tears zipped down my face as if they were rushing off to a vacation.

I fell onto my chest on the cold tile floor. I cried as I felt my body surge with pain.

A numb feeling gathered in my head as my eye lids sank heavy and heavier on my eyes. Every blink my eyes stayed closed longer.

My hair toppled over my weak arms that were trying to hold me up. Through the slits in my hair I could see a figure. It was a dark, cloaked creature standing in front of me.

I couldn't hold on any longer. My arms finally gave up and my cheek fell hard onto the floor. I sobbed lightly as I felt the pain slip away from my body.

I looked up at the cloaked figure that was blurry by my tear-filled eyes. From inside the hood, were a pair of bright honey eyes.

The same ones I had seen in my dream. My breathing and heart rate seemed to almost cease as I closed my eyes and opened them again softly.

"Miresse...Miresse. She is here, she is here."  Those words were the last I heard as I watched the shadowy figure approach me.

My lights had went out.