Epilogue

So, we have, finally, come to the end of Marta's tale. For her, and Nally, it is not so much the end, as the start of a new beginning.

Following emancipation, and a protracted period of indenture, many slaves were evicted from their previous owners land with nothing but what they were clothed in. Many generated toward the cities in search of a new beginning. They often suffered abuse and segregation. Many were openly murdered. Some turned to alcohol, drugs, and prostitution, unprepared for a life of freedom. Simply new forms of slavery.

Slavery, sadly, is still rife today. There are no shackles, but many, mostly young women, are encouraged to leave their homes with promises of work and new prospects, only to find themselves forced into prostitution or domestic drudgery. This is not isolated to one country, it is rife in what we like to call 'civilised society.'

I must pay thanks here to @seasofme who introduced me to this subject, and has cajoled me into finishing what I started. I also thank for for generously providing the cover.

This was a very painful tale to write, and I am left with a personal sense of shame that we, as humans, have learned nothing, as we continue to tolerate such inhumanity.

I send grateful thanks to all who have read and supported this sad tale.

                                                                         _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Owain Glyn