13

Following Linc and Mel they came to a halt as they realized everyone was being ushered out as the MC informed them of a fire outbreak and something about making sure all guests where accounted for.
Walking towards the exit they where stopped by several guard just as they witnessed the doors close leaving them in the ballroom. Scanning the room only Cas's father was present with the few guards who remained behind.

"I am glad you attended your engagement party son," the old mans' voice boomed in the spacious room. "It's quiet sad we could not formalize your engagement today but an announcement can be sent out once you meet your future wife," he smirked as his gaze strayed to Nia. Using his body he shielded her from his father hearing Linc speak softly to a worried looking Mel.

"Tell them to stand down," Cas said between clenched teeth.
The old man chuckled. The only way you will leave is if you either agree to marry the wife I have chosen for you or you denounce your title," he said without missing a beat.
"Very well," Cas said. "Is a good thing my company is not attached to you in any manner," he smirked seeing the Kings nostrils flare in anger. "Goodbye father," he said turning away from the old man.

"Cas," he heard Nia whisper in a voice that told him she was unsure of his decision.
"Let's go love. I don't really care about all this," he said. "I only care for you and our baby," he smiled lovingly at her.
Lucien barged into the room just as they started making their way out.
"Brother!" He yelled making them stop.
Running towards them he stopped in front of Cas before he pulled him into a pained embrace.

"I can't handle this all by myself. You can't leave," Lucien whispered into his brothers ear.
"You will be fine brother. You are way stronger than I am to have lived my his rules. But I have a family that needs me," he said in a gruff voice. "You know where to find me if you need advice," he said stepping back to look at his older brother.
"You are the stronger one brother," he said with a small pained smile. "If you ever need anything don't hesitate to call me, ever," he whispered for his brothers ears alone. "I will handle father, convince him to change his mind if not me, then only mother can change his mind," he said.

With a slight head nod they agreed before stepping away from each other.
"Open them," Lucien stated as the guards moved to open the doors watching his brother and friends leave.

"Well there really is not use in us staying here, we can head back home," Cas smiled as they drove away from the palace.

-----

"Cas," he heard a voice calling out his name.
Cracking one eye open he found Nia looking at him with a worried expression.
"Darling Lucien just called, he doesn't sound too good," she whispered as he quickly sat up. "It's about your mom," she said keeping her eyes on him.
"What happened?"
"He said she collapsed after hearing you had been cut off from the family," she said tears freely flowing down her cheeks.

Cursing he closed his eyes taking a deep calming breath.
"I already informed the pilot to turn back."
Smiling at her he pulled her into his arms placing a kiss on her forehead.
"Thank you," he whispered.

---

Upon reaching the hospital they had difficulty getting in. His father had told his men to not allow them in but after Lucien threatened the guards he quickly snuck in to see her.
This was the first time he truly saw his mother in such a weak and vulnerable state.
It felt odd for him to see such a strong woman looking so out of place, laying still on the bed.

"What caused her to pass out all of a sudden?"
"The trigger was the news about your departure and with her due for surgery soon, the news took its toll in her already weakened state," Lucien murmured.

"You can leave now. You have seen your mother," his father said.
Having no strength to fight him and not wanting to disturb his mother he surrendered leaving the room.

He felt a small hand go around his as Nia pulled him towards the already waiting car.
"No wait I need to leave a message for  my brother," Cas said jumping out of the car before Nia entered.

Heading back towards the main entrance the sound of an explosion shattered the glass surrounding them as alarms went off simultaneously. The scene was straight out of a movie as Cas pulled Nia into his arms shielding her from the effects of the explosion as their bodies where hurled away from the car by the shock of the explosion.

Landing with a hard thud onto the ground Cas quickly but painfully collected himself as he looked down at Nia.
"Baby," he said as she slowly opened her eyes.
Letting out the breath he was holding he moved off her before reaching for her hands to pull her up.

"Are you alright?" He asked her running his eyes over her doing the unexpected as he crouched down his eyes files with panic.
A loud gasp escaped her lips as she stared at the piece of metal deeply lodged in her leg.

Swinging her into his arms he reached the house entrance but on trying to open the door found it locked.
"Open the door!" He yelled seeing the Royal guard standing at the entrance. The the glass he saw Lucien ordering his men to open the door but they did not budge.

Yelling ensued between his father and Lucien resulting in Lucien moving away from his father marching towards the door but was stopped but two guards.
"Lucien!" He cried out in fear.
Knocking both of them down he didn't go far as four guards stepped up to stop him.

"Lucien!" He yelled once more as the guards where ordered to use force upon him as they beat him unconscious.
Anger coursed throughout his body as he watched unable to do anything. Nia groaned in his arms as he watched his brother lying on the ground unmoving. Two man dragged him away as he starred daggers into his father's back.

Turning around a car came to halt in front of him. The window rolled down to reveal none other than Linc making him rush forward towards the vehicle.
"She's losing a lot of blood," Cas  yelled as the car pulled away from the hospital.
"It's gonna be alright buddy," Linc murmured keeping an eye on the road.

Reaching the airport they boarded the plane and where up in the air before they knew it.
"Nia honey!" Mel said giving her a light slap. "Stay awake for me," she smiled as an attendant brought in more towels and a first aid kit.

"Devon! Tell me what I need to do," she spoke up as Devon's image came into view on the screen facing the bed.
Walking her though the procedure  she managed to wrap Nia's leg pretty good preventing any further blood loss.
"Wait, is that safe for the baby?" Cas asked as Mel held the injection.
"It is, just a mild painkiller," she replied before injecting her friend.

"Thank you Devon," Mel beamed looking at her friend. Having stitched her up and bandaged her she and Linc left the room.
The image of his father standing by and ordering his men to take down his brother still replayed over and over in his head. In that moment he felt broken as he looked down at Nia who had fallen asleep a while ago.

Taking a quick shower he returned with a bowl and towel as he removed the dirt and grime off Nia careful to not wake her, before leaving to talk to Lincoln.
"Thank you," he said in a gruff voice as he looked at his friends.
Both of them sat close to each other starring at the laptop before Mel stood up with it laughing as one of the twins giggled.

Linc looked content before his expression turned business like.
"You are welcome. Before you ask how, we had Clive followed and realized his plan too late," Linc stated.
"I knew it was him," Cas seethed. "Well he literally just lit up a fire that cannot be put out," Cas smirked as ideas began to form in his mind. "Thank you for...." He said stopping mid sentence as he suddenly felt dizzy.

"Cas," Linc said showing concern.
Falling to the ground blood pooled around him as Linc quickly moved forward to see where the blood was coming from.
"Dammit Cas why didn't you tell me," he said seeing the deep wound which he had roughly covered up.
"Had to take care of Nia first," he whispered with a smile as Linc eyed the bullet wound.

Hello lovely people 👋
Hope you enjoyed ☺️☺️

PS: How was the chapter?