17

Cas's POV

I watched as his family stood in the private waiting room. The whole floor had been cleared as per protocol and there was nothing more I could do. His blood stained my shirt, his blood stained Mel's hands, all I could see was red. Linc's sister gently took her hands wiping off the blood as she spoke to Mel softly. This was all my fault, I shouldn't have involved them in my troubles they had already been through more than enough.

I should be the one in that room, lying on that bed, fighting for my life, not Linc. The man was just like Lucien in my eyes. Years of friendship with him had brought us closer, a brotherhood unlike any other. As he fought for his life I knew men where already on their way to the hospital.

This was too much of a problem for them to sit back and let us handle on our own. Clive was becoming more than a pest. He put one of us in grave danger and still had my wife's parents hidden away from the face of the earth. My men had t iced their best to locate them, but I guess their best wasn't enough. Mel sat in shock, she had been that way since Linc uttered the words that frightened me the most. Him being unable to move or feel his legs had rendered her speechless as he coughed up blood just before the paramedics arrived.. A year ago she had been in a closely similar situation, that image would always haunt me.
I watched as Lia tried to get through to her. Trying to snap her out of her trance like state.This was going to be a long night I foresaw.

Only the best was being poured into this surgery. There was no way I would allow my friend to not run with his children because of my problems, even if it meant using methods that where not yet available for the public.
As ordered a doctor walked into the lobby after exactly an hour had lapsed.

"Ma'am your husband is doing very well. We managed to remove five of the bullets including the one lodged in his spine. Now we hope the drug we administered will prove useful in strengthening and mending any damaged nerves. Also because of the head injury he sustained we had to induce him into a coma, that way the swelling in his brain will decrease as expected.
Although we have to monitor him closely for any side effects after all the drug you gave us hasn't been fda approved," he said nervously.
"When can I see him?" Mel whispered.
"In another hour ma'am."
"Okay," she said turning away from the doctor moving to sit down once more.
Rose climbed onto her lap hugging her mother as though her life depended on it. She clung onto the shirt, no doubt Linc shirt as Mel kissed her forehead murmuring soothing words.

"Cas," I heard turning my gaze up to look at Nia.
Gone was the party dress and in place where a pair of sweatpants and a hoody. She stood looking down at me, worried beyond measure as I took her hand pulling her into my lap.
What could I say to the woman who owned my heart. I didn't even know where to begin, so much was already going on inside my head.
She seemed to sense this as she lay her head on my shoulder obviously tired but fighting the sleep.
"It's okay love, sleep," I whispered feeling her relax some more.

The buzzing of my phone drew me away from my thoughts as I looked at the caller id.
I looked towards Ethan who was now on the phone. Giving him a slight head nod he rattled a response into the phone.
Ethan walked up to where I sat looking tired but his anger still visible.

"You knew they where on their way," he stated as I simply nodded my head. Just then the doctor came out to inform us we could see Linc.
Waking Nia up she left to help Lia and Mel with the children.

As the door to his room closed I turned towards the elevator, waiting for them. Dressed in black suits they walked out of the elevator looking every inch serious and deadly.
"Brat," Ethan murmured pulling the first man to reach them into a hug.
Greeting each men separately they exchanged greeting but not a smile appeared on any of their faces.