Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Despite the slight buzzing of the atmosphere after the boys pinning each other on a car incident, the ride was relaxing. That was, of couse, until they started passing fimular surroundings, far too fimualr for Castiels taste, clearly, as he soon peaked up.

“Where are we going, Dean?” He asked, turning towards the boy in the drivers seat.

“I’m not taking you back home, Cassie,” Dean mummers in reassurance, not willing to offer any more of an answer.  His passenger seemed annoyed at the nickname as he huffed and crossed his arms, but silenced his questions. 

The drive was silent until Dean pulled them off into the field pull off where they had stopped that night of the first date. Instead of stopping and shutting off the headlights like he had over a week ago, the skilled driver tore down the rocky, unpaved road for a while. The soft echo of his name filled the car from Castiels lip. He didn’t become any more unpatient despite the way Dean didn’t answer him which led the Winchester to believe he was just saying it out of a jerk-leg reaction and wasn’t actually aware of the constant word tumbling from his lips resembling the stead beat of a metronome and the no longer steady beat of his own thudding heart.

A low chuckle finally left Deans lips when he smoothed the Impala into a careful halt. Finally Castiel fell silent as he saw what the headlights illuminated. A tent, set up carefully in an open, unused section of the field.

“You said you like camping, right?” Dean says, a grin on his face as he watched Castiel. Dean already knew the answer to his question: he could still hear Castiels voice confessing it over the table at the Diner. The way he tapered his sound and glanced down at the table, somewhat embarrassed at his own enjoyment of the activity. Dean couldn’t understand why, camping isn’t an embarrassing thing to most people. Castiels family felt different though, as they found anything not primp and proper to be strange and repulsive.

“Well, I figured this would be a good way to apologize for ditching out on you,” Dean explains without waiting for a  response from his passenger, who was still clearly trying to wrap his head around the whole thing. “Come on,” Dean says, grinning as he gave Castiels shoulder a shove and smiled. “Lets go get settled before it gets really dark.”

“Wait, Dean, are you staying the night with me?” Castiel asks, stopping Dean who was about to swing his door open as he shut the car and headlights off.

“Of course, numskull. Now come on, lets go.” Dean opens the door this time with a slight grown of protest from the cold night that makes him wince. His dads car or not, the teenager was sure to be touching her up when he got back home. Castiel followed behind him, a smile on his face slightly visible in the dimming light of twilight.

After quickly exploring and modifying the sleeping bags and pillows inside the tent, the boys were back outside, per Castiels request. Despite the increasingly fridget tempatures, they lounged on the ground, hands clapsed behind their back in utter darkness to look up at the millions of stars. Their legs touched and slowly, without either one saying a word, their inner hands, Dean’s left and Castiel his right, fell from behind their heads and intertwined between their bodies. It was a new feeling for both of them, but neither interjected as they looked into the ever dark night sky.

Stars, the uncountable number there are, blinked and twinkled, more visible here in the empty darkness of a field than anywhere else either of them had been. New little shimmering specks seemed to appear each time their eyes adjusted further. They seemed to be layered back throughout the darkness although both Dean and Castiel knew there wasn’t much order to the layout of such exterior decorating.