Chapter 26

Katniss's P.O.V 

I was awake, but I couldn't open my eyes. As my hearing adjusted I could hear sobbing. It sounded like.... Peeta. Is he okay, is he hurt?! I wanted so much to be able to cradle him in my arms and soothe his heart ache. Katniss, stop it! He doesn't like you like that. I listened to him sob, my heart breaking. He sounded so broken. If I could just open my damn eyes!

"Katniss, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt you. I can't believe I did it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He sobbed as he grabbed my hand. "I love you, I can't believe what I've done. I never meant to put you in danger, ever! I love you so much it hurts, please forgive me. Please!"

He.... he loves me? No he can't! But he just said he did!? I'm so confused. He continued to sob as I began to regain feeling in my body. Damn, I was sore. And my nose is cold. There must have been ice on there. As his sobs reduce to sniffles, I can feel my eyes gradually opening. I look down at Peeta, his head is resting next to my hand and I can see where his tears have landed. Without a second thought, I reach out and stroke his tear stained cheek. His head shot up.

"Katniss.." he croaked. His eyes were blood shot and were filling with more tears.

"Peeta," I said sitting up and quickly clasping my hands either side of his face, "Are you okay? Peeta? Are you hurt? Have you taken your medication?"

"K-Katniss.." He looked confused, "You are asking me if I'm okay, after what I just did to you? After I just .." He struggled to finish. "After I just a-a-attacked you?!"  His eyes filled with fresh tears as soon as the old ones had spilled. I quickly pulled him into a hug. He wrapped his arms gently around my waist and wrapped mine around his neck. He sobbed into my shoulder as I rubbed circles onto his back. 

"Sh, sh baby, shh. It's okay, we're okay." I whispered into his ear until he calmed down. He sniffed and pulled away, arms still around my waist. 

"I'm so sorry Katniss. I didn't mean it, I swear! I couldn't control myself. I promise to never hurt you again. I understand if you never want to see me ag-" I cut him off with my hand.

" Don't worry about it, I know you're sorry. Please don't cry anymore. Come on, lets get your pills and if you feel up to it, we'll eat." I say taking his hands off of my waist and interlocking his left hand in my right. I winced as I stood up and felt Peeta's hand tighten around mine. I lead him into the kitchen and took out his bottle of blue pills. I handed him two along with a glass of water. He swallowed them down and drained the glass. 

"You okay to eat?" I say

"Yeah, I think so." He says, sitting down at the table, not looking at me. I sigh and grab two bowls. I fill them with stew and grab two spoons from the draw. I walk over and place them down, one in front of him and one in front of the seat opposite, but I don't sit. I pull a stool directly behind Peeta, which hurts but I ignore it. I turn him so his backs to the table and he's facing me. Tilting his head up so he's looking directly at me, I say,

"Stop it." 

"Stop what?" He says looking puzzled. 

"Stop blaming yourself!" He sighs and looks back at the floor. 

"What can I do to make you feel better?" I say feeling at my wits end. He shrugs and continues looking at the ground, as if it's the most interesting thing in the world. A thought popped into my head. I'll sing. I remember how happy it made him before. I sang a song me and my dad had sung to one of our neighbours, she'd just lost her husband. He'd died in a mine accident, leaving her with four children.I was about 6.

(Song is Keep Holding On- Avril Lavigne)

You're not alone, together we stand
I'll be by your side you know I'll take your hand
When it gets cold, and it feels like the end
There's no place to go you know I won't give in
No I won't give in

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through

Just stay strong
'Cause you know I'm here for you
I'm here for you

There's nothing you can say
Nothing you can do
There's no other way when it comes to the truth so

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through

So far away, I wish you were here
Before it's too late this could all disappear
Before the doors close, and it comes to an end
With you by my side I will fight and defend
I'll fight and defend
Yeah, Yeah

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through

Just stay strong
'Cause you know I'm here for you
I'm here for you

There's nothing you can say
Nothing you can do 
There's no other way when it comes to the truth so

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through

Hear me when I say when I say "I believe"
Nothing's gonna change nothing's gonna change destiny
Whatever's meant to be will work out perfectly
Yea-Eh, Yea-Eh, Yea-Eh, Yea-Eh-Ah-Ah 
La-Da-Da-Da, La-Da-Da-Da, La-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through

Just stay strong
'Cause you know I'm here for you
I'm here for you

There's nothing you can say 
Nothing you can do 
There's no other way when it comes to the truth so

Keep holding on
'Cause you know we'll make it through
We'll make it through

 Keep holding on
Keep holding on

I finished out of breath. Peeta had stared into my eyes the whole time. A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth after I'd finished. I pulled him into a tight embrace, his arms locked around my waist again. After a few minutes, I pulled back to look at him. 

"Our stew will be getting cold," I say smiling. He removes his arms and  and pull my stool back over to the right place. We eat in a comfortable silence. After we're done, we cleaned our bowls and put the left over stew into the freezer. 

"What do you want to do?" Peeta says. 

"I'm exhausted. Can we watch some t.v.? But preferably not the news. I'm tired of seeing my own face everywhere." 

"Right you are." He says, before we head into the sitting room. We pop on a random programme, it's some kind of quiz show. We sit together on the sofa. We didn't notice but it's now 10pm and the temperature's dropped. I shiver and Peeta notices.

"Come here," He says so I shift over to him. He's sat so that his back is against the sofa cusins and his side leaning against the arm of the sofa. His legs are curled up under him. I'm lay with the back of my head resting on the arm, with a cusion under it for supoort, turned sightly to the right so I can see the programme. My back is lay along the cusion in front of Peeta .He grabs a blanket that's resting on the back of the sofa and wraps it around us. He gently places his arm around my waist and rests his hand on my stomach, pulling the side of my body into his torso.

You'd think going from virtually no physical contact for so long to suddenly cuddling with Peeta would be strange and uncomfortable for me but it just feels so natural. It's nice. I've missed being close with some one, some one I really trust. I can't believe what I thought when he arrived here. 

He looks down at me a smiles. I smile back before turning back to programme. I feel my eyes drooping and beofre I know it, I'm drifting into a warn, comforted sleep....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Awwrh, cute chapter!! :) Thanks for the 1.3k reads guys! It's really amazing! Will hopefully update by the end of the week! Thanks again my lovelies!

VOTE!! COMMENT!! FOLLOW!!

Love of lots <3 xxxx