3-A Disgusting Amount of Syrup

"You look possessed," Sirius said.

They were hanging out in the common room after dinner, and there were a gaggle of students talking and laughing. Remus was sitting in a chair by the fire, long legs stretched out in front of it, and Sirius was sprawled on the arm of the chair, shoulder pressed against Remus's, one ankle overlapping with his shin. James was leaning against the wall of the fireplace, and Peter was cross-legged on the floor in front of them.

"Earth to Prongs," Remus called. "Stop staring at Lily."

"She's gorgeous," James breathed.

Remus sighed. "She's not into you."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Peter said. They all looked at him in surprise; rare was the subject on which Peter did not agree with them. "She was looking at him a lot in Potions—"

"Yeah, because he looked like he'd just rolled out of bed," Sirius interjected, "hair flat on one side and sticking up on the other."

"You're one to talk about hair," Remus murmured.

"Ahem," Peter said. "And during History of Magic, they were passing notes—"

"That was actually just James passing notes to Lily, and Lily throwing them in the trash without looking at them," Sirius corrected.

"She wrote me one back," James said, sounding injured.

"Oh yeah? What did it say?"

"It said, Stop writing me notes or I will hex you."

"You're absolutely right, that's true love," Sirius said. "Do continue, Wormtail."

"And," Peter continued, as if he hadn't been interrupted, "in Transfiguration, she was practicing spells with him."

"She was trying to Transfigure him into a fly," Remus pointed out.

"She was paying attention to him," Peter pronounced. "If you ask me, I think she likes him."

"We didn't, really," Sirius mumbled.

"I, for one, value Wormtail's opinion," James announced. "Thank you, Peter."

Peter looked thrilled. "No problem."

Sirius sighed dramatically. "Okay. What's the point total today?"

Remus glanced at Peter, who dug out his notepad. "James is just barely in the lead, twenty-six points to twenty," he announced. "Sirius executed two ten-point pranks; James executed four mediocre pranks."

"My pranks were not mediocre," James interjected.

"Yes they were," Sirius said.

"Shut up." James stabbed a finger at Remus. "You're biased."

"I am not biased," Remus said indignantly.

"Yes you are, you're in love with Sirius and you're biased," James said. "I vote we get someone else to judge."

Remus's mouth dropped open. "I am not in love with Sirius!"

Sirius pointedly looked away.

James waved a hand. "One of you is in love with the other. Either way, biased. Hey, Evans!"

Lily, who was doing her homework in the corner, glanced up. "Potter, if this is about Pranktober, you can shove it up your—"

"Never mind, Lily," Remus called, glaring at James. "I'll handle the nitwit."

"He's not a—" Lily stopped, then glanced at her papers. "He's...yes, he's a nitwit...thank you, Remus, I appreciate that."

Blushing furiously, she went back to her homework, scribbling rapidly on the parchment, almost upsetting her ink bottle.