22-Halloween

"I can't believe we're missing the Halloween feast," Peter grumped the next morning as the five headed down for breakfast. They counted half an hour until their charm on the doors went into effect, and the pumpkin trick wouldn't work until lunch.

"It's for Moony," Sirius replied cheerfully. "Moral support."

James squinted. "You're happier than usual. What's gotten into you? And where were you and Moony yesterday?"

"I told you, we were just hanging out on the bleachers," Remus said calmly.

"More like making out," Lily muttered.

"Well, yes, that too," Remus amended.

James gasped. Peter shrieked. Lily stifled a smirk.

"He speaks only truth," Sirius said.

"So...are you two...a thing now?" James's hazel eyes flicked from one to the other.

"No," Sirius said, with an air of mock annoyance. "We are not."

James squinted. Peter's head was bobbing as he tried to look at everyone at once.

"Eggs?" Lily broke the tension as they approached the table.

"Explain this to me," James said. "You two are snogging whenever we turn our backs and yet you're not together."

"Padfoot and I talked about it, and I don't think it's anyone's business but ours," Remus said. 

"It's not like we're going to tell anyone," James said.

"We're not dating, Prongs," Sirius told him. "Remus doesn't want a relationship. I think he has every reason—"

"You keep snogging Sirius and expect him to be okay with that?" James said sharply.

Remus slammed a hand on the table. "It is not your place to say that!"

"You usually have more sense than this."

"You don't even know what was said!"

"Then tell me," James ground out.

"Stop." Lily glanced between them both. "It's none of your business, James."

"I'm going to class." Remus stood up and marched out of the hall—

—only to collide with the air. He toppled backwards a bit, then felt for the handle and shoved the door open.

"That went into effect earlier than expected," James said.

"Sorry." Peter's cheeks were bright pink. "I did that door."

"I'm going to find Moony," Sirius said.

"Wait." James stood up. "Just tell me you aren't heartbroken. Tell me either there's something permanent between you two, a commitment, and he's not just leaving you hanging, or tell me that you've broken it off for good."

Sirius hesitated. "There's nothing," he said. "We just kissed a few times, but that's it, James. We're not together. There's nothing going on. And no, it doesn't bother me."

James sighed. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know."

Sirius swung his bag over his shoulder and dashed off, presumably in search of Remus.

James turned to Lily. "Well?"

Lily, daintily picking at her eggs, glanced over at him. Her red hair was pulled loosely back in a scarlet bow. "Well, what?"

"What do you think?"

"I think they're waiting to date until they're adults." She forked a bite of eggs. "Or at least, well out of school."

"You're way too smart," Peter said.

She gave him a sidelong look that wasn't exactly friendly. "You bet I am."

"Do you think they'll be okay?" James asked.

Lily chewed thoughtfully, then looked at the ceiling. "I don't know if any of us will be okay."

............

"Remus?"

"I can feel it," Remus whispered. "I can feel it—it's like the wolf is scraping at my bones."

"Remus..."

He was huddled in the corner of the dungeon, gasping slightly.

"This is the worst part of it," he said. "Even worse than tomorrow. The part that makes me want to rip off my own skin."

Sirius dropped to the floor beside him. "Is there...is there anything I can do...?"

"Just stay with me for a while," Remus breathed. His hair hung in his face and his eyes were closed against the onslaught of the wolf.

So Sirius wrapped his arms around him and stayed there for hours.

............

When they re-emerged, it was lunchtime, and Professor McGonagall was heading their way, eyes gleaming.

"Frick," Sirius whispered. "Hi...Professor."

"Whe—"

"OOHHHH, COME AND STIR MY CAULDRON, AND IF YOU DO IT RIGHT—"

A burst of laughter echoed through the hall as an armada of bouncing jack-o-lanterns surrounded Professor McGonagall, mouths wide open in song.

"—I'LL BOIL YOU UP SOME HOT STRONG LOVE, TO KEEP ME WARM TONIGHT—"

McGonagall glared daggers. "Is this what you do when you skip class, Mr. Black?"

"No, Professor, that was during my lunch period," Sirius said honestly.

"He's been with me," Remus cut in. "I...I asked him to stay with me."

McGonagall sighed. "Tomorrow," she said to Sirius. "Tomorrow I will expect you to be in all your classes—"

"Tomorrow's Saturday, Professor," Sirius said, "I couldn't possibly."

McGonagall threw up her hands and stalked away. The pumpkins, still wailing the chorus, drifted along behind her.

Remus laughed quietly. "I really thought you were going to get detention."

"Oh, shut up," Sirius whispered. "Is anyone looking?"

"They followed the pumpkin brigade," Remus said.

Sirius stood on his tiptoes and leaned forward. It was a brief kiss, full of hopes and promises, and they walked down the hall together to find their friends.

............

A full moon gleamed in the night sky.

Inside a ramshackle wooden structure, four animals ran free.

One was a tiny rat, skittering around the corners of the room, taking care to avoid the feet of the others.

One was a giant stag, prancing gaily around the room, huffing every time a cold breeze filtered in through the cracks in the walls.

One was a large werewolf, howling and clawing at the walls, every so often laying down for a bit and sniffing around at his companions.

And the last was a black dog, who lay next to the werewolf every time he settled, ever watchful, ever careful.

And inside the Great Hall, as students chattered eagerly about the haunted Shrieking Shack, and many made claims to know exactly what the monster inside it was, a red-haired girl just smiled and sipped her pumpkin juice.