14-She's Worth It

"I'm sorry," Sirius said.

James didn't answer.

"It's been two days, Potter. Are you just never going to talk to me again because I accidentally made a snarky comment at a girl you like and she left you?" Sirius leaned forward. "This is not my fault. I'm sorry for what I said to her, but this is not my fault."

"I know," James said. "I'm not mad at you, Padfoot. I just don't want to talk to anyone right now."

Sirius felt a bit of relief at having James call him by his old familiar nickname. "We could get back at her," he suggested. "Big group prank?"

James shook his head. "I don't want to prank her."

Sirius raised an eyebrow. "You? Prongs Potter, notorious prankster, who has pranked Lily Evans more times than he's shifted into Animagus form, doesn't want to prank Lily Evans? What has she done to you?"

"It was going perfectly!" James said. "I don't know what set her off! It wasn't you..." He stared into the fire. "Maybe the Animagus thing scared her away?"

Sirius glanced at him worriedly. "She's not worth it, James."

"Yes she is."

The portrait hole opened and Remus walked in, looking exhausted. James sat up straight. "How did it go, Moony?"

"I think I accidentally made her cry," Remus said sheepishly. "I was a bit harsh."

"What did you say?" James was instantly on the defensive.

"I kinda threw Sirius under the bus," Remus said.

"That's okay, I deserve it," Sirius said.

"And I probably made James out to be this perfectly noble person that he's not," Remus said. "And I might have accidentally painted her to be a heartless bitch that used you and discarded you."

Sirius dropped his head and groaned. "You can't do that."

"But I absolutely did not exaggerate on that count," Remus said. "She did a really stupid, heartless thing. And she needs to know what she did wrong."

James glanced up. "Moony, you didn't need to make her feel bad."

"Yes I did," Remus said firmly. "And now you need to go apologize to her."

"For what?" Sirius exploded. "What did he do? I think I need to apologize—"

"Oh yes, you too," Remus said. "You and Wormtail are going to apologize first. Make it look like you're all stupid and you never meant to offend her. Then James will come in and by then she'll feel really bad and realize what she did wrong. And even if you don't get back together, you'll be on good terms." Remus sat back, crossing his arms. 

James raised an eyebrow. "You're a genius."

"I know," Remus said, a faint smile crossing his face.

James shook his head. "Let's wait until tomorrow, at least."

"Sounds good." Sirius leaned back. "I'm going to sleep, anyway."

"Me too." Remus rose to his feet. "Night, guys. Hey, has anyone seen Wormtail?"

James shook his head. "Probably already asleep."

He wasn't, but the three didn't think anything of it when he never appeared in the dorm that night.

............

The next day, Sirius spotted Lily in the halls just after breakfast. Her head was down, her books tucked tightly in her arms, and she seemed determined not to lock eyes with anyone.

"Evans!"

Her shoes clicked faster.

"Lily!"

Faster. Her head ducked further, sending her fiery auburn waves cascading around her face.

"Lily June Evans!"

She finally stopped. "How did you know my middle name?"

Sirius shrugged. "I think James probably mentioned it at some point."

At the mention of James, her face darkened. "I have to get to class, Black."

Sirius grabbed her shoulder. "Wait. No. Stop. I have—I have to apologize."

Her green eyes were stony in the dim light filtering into the hallway. "For what?"

"For making you feel unwelcome among us." Sirius stepped forward, pulling them both out of the way of the students trickling past. "James is my best friend, and whatever he wants, I want for him. You're probably one of the best things that ever happened to him, and whether or not you want to be in a relationship with him, and I know you do, he's just a really great person—"

"I know he is," Lily said, a hint of a smirk on her freckled face.

"And—and I'm sorry. And you're always welcome with the four of us," Sirius said.

Lily fiddled with the strap of her bag. "Thanks, Sirius."

"Just—give him another chance, at least," Sirius said. "Please."

Lily sighed. 

"That's all." Sirius walked away, checking over his shoulder as he went.

And right on cue, James skidded down the hallway, hair sticking up on all sides, tie askew. "Did you talk to her?" he demanded. "What did she say?"

Sirius shrugged. "Go talk to her yourself."

"What if she says no?"

"Then she's not worth it," Sirius said firmly.

James took a deep breath. "She's worth it."

And then he strode off.