15-This Is Not A Drill

"Are you going to tell me what she said?"

Sirius raised an eyebrow, but didn't respond.

"Pads..."

"She didn't really say much of anything," Sirius said. "I did most of the talking."

Remus snorted lightly. "That might not be a good thing."

"Pfft."

The two walked idly down the corridor after leaving their bags in the common room, having plenty of time before Astronomy class.

"Where's Wormtail?" Sirius wondered for the fifth time. "I haven't seen him since dinner last night. He never came back to the dorm—"

"He did," Remus said. "He left before we woke up."

"What's he doing?" Sirius's eyes glittered. "Think he's got a girl."

Remus stopped suddenly.

"What?"

Remus tilted his head. Confused, Sirius followed his gaze—to a couple of Slytherins in the corner. Nott, Malfoy, Avery, Mulciber, Crabbe, Goyle...

And Peter, standing in the middle.

"What the fuck is he doing?" Sirius started forward, but Remus snatched the neck of his robes and hauled him around the corner.

"We can ask him later," Remus said firmly, releasing Sirius. Sirius stumbled into Remus, grabbing at his arm to right himself.

Pretending not to notice the blush coloring Remus's cheeks.

Sirius sighed. "Remus..."

Remus pressed his lips quickly to Sirius's.

"Sorry," he breathed.

"God damn you," Sirius muttered, wrapping his arms around Remus. He felt Remus's arms wind around him hesitantly, and they stood there for a full minute together, pretending the world didn't exist, pretending everything was okay.

"I assume you still aren't comfortable openly dating me?" Sirius asked bitterly.

Remus sighed. "Someday," he promised, gripping Sirius's hand. "Someday, when things are easier. Maybe when James gets married..."

Sirius smiled. "Someday," he said. "You promise?"

"I promise," Remus said.

Around the corner, a hissing chant began. They looked up warily, separating their hands, listening.

"Long live the Dark Lord.

"Long live the Dark Lord..."

Sirius bit his lip. "That doesn't sound good."

"It doesn't sound good at all," Remus agreed.

............

"You wanted to talk to me." Lily stared up at him with brilliant green eyes.

"I...uh..." James found himself at a loss for words.

She crossed her arms.

"Actually, you should be talking to me," James said. "Because I didn't do anything wrong."

For a brief moment, Lily looked surprised.

"Lily, I like you a lot. I've liked you for a very long time," James said. "But if you're in, you have to be all in, or I'm just wasting my time."

Lily's expression was unreadable. James ran a hand through his hair nervously.

"I came to apologize," James said. "But I can't think what I'm apologizing for."

Lily just looked at him.

"So that's it," James said. "I'm not going to wait for you forever, Evans, no matter how many ridiculous bets I set for Pranktober."

He turned to walk away, but a hand landed on his arm. A slender, freckled hand.

"You idiot," she said.

"What—"

Lily leaned forward and kissed him.

Oh. My. God. This is not a drill. Lily Evans is kissing me.

Padfoot's going to be so disappointed he missed it.

Unable to form a coherent sentence, he sputtered.

"I'm sorry," Lily said. "And—if you forgive me, I'll go out with you."

"You will?" James asked disbelievingly. "You actually will?"

To James's surprise, she grinned. "Yes."

............

Sirius put a hand to his pocket. "What the hell?"

Remus frowned. "Did you feel that too?"

"Wait." Sirius dug through his pocket, then grinned. "It worked! They're back together!"

"How can you tell?" Remus asked. "Did you enchant your pocket to act as an alarm clock?"

"No, but I think I can figure out when twenty Galleons suddenly vanishes from my pocket," Sirius said.

Remus smiled. "It worked."

Just then, Peter ambled around the corner, looking dazed.

"Oi!"

Sirius launched himself forward, but Remus grabbed his arm. "Be nice," he said stiffly.

Sirius glared at Remus, then turned to Peter. "What in the name of fuck was that—"

"I don't know." Peter looked nervous. "They just grabbed me...and started saying things about a Dark Lord—"

"They mean Voldemort, we know that," Remus said. "But Wormtail, what were you doing?"

Peter swallowed. "I don't...I..."

Sirius squinted. But then, he reasoned, Peter was a terrible liar.

Wormy wouldn't lie to us. And you're an arse for doubting him, Sirius Black.

"Hey, it's cool," Sirius said. "I know it wasn't your fault those guys are jerks."

Remus let out a tiny breath of relief, presumably that Sirius hadn't gone crazy. Sirius shot him a wink, then turned back to Peter.

"Come on," Sirius said. "Let's go find James and Lily. I hear things went well."