Chapter 22b: Collision course (part 2)

CHAPTER 22

Collision course (part 2)

I was ridiculously nervous Monday morning as I headed toward my first class. Partly because of whatever Mr. Smith might do once he figured out who I was, but mainly because I wasn't sure exactly how Rigel was going to act toward me now that we'd agreed our fake breakup was over.

Of course I'd said yes about Homecoming. Duh. But Rigel had walked me home--well, most of the way home--right after that. And we hadn't said more than "hi" to each other in church yesterday, since for obvious reasons Rigel couldn't tell his parents what we were doing. Today would be the first test of our new plan--assuming Rigel hadn't had second thoughts since I talked him into it Saturday night.

It seemed all too likely he might have, considering I'd had second--and third, and fourth--thoughts since then myself. Some of those times I was ready to admit it really was a dangerous and stupid plan. Even so, every time I thought carefully through my options, this one made the most sense, for me and for everyone else. Which meant even if Rigel decided it was safer to keep ignoring me, I wouldn't let him.

With that resolve firmly in mind, I walked into Geometry class, my heart hammering like crazy . . . until Rigel looked over at me, smiled his wonderful smile and came toward me. Suddenly I was positive everything was going to be fine. Somehow.

"Hey." His voice was warm, stroking over my senses until my toes curled from just one word.

"Hey," I responded, reminding myself to ask him--privately--whether my voice affected him the way his affected me. "How was--?"

"Rigel!" Trina's voice, even shriller and more irritating than usual, cut across my question before I could finish. "Why on Earth are you talking to her? You said you were over that . . . that aberration."

He turned slowly to face her, but not before I saw him grimace--an expression I kind of wished she'd seen, too, since it would have told her clearly what he really thought of her.

"I never said that, Trina," he said carefully, distinctly. "You did."

She sniffed, reminding me of my Aunt Theresa. "Well, it's not like you denied it."

"You're right," he admitted. "I should have, even though I knew--everyone knew--it was just your wishful thinking. M is no aberration, and I'm definitely not over her." He glanced at me, the warmth back in his eyes. "I don't think I ever could be."

Trina took a step backward, her big blue eyes snapping back and forth between us. "But you . . . she . . ."

I actually found myself feeling just the tiniest bit sorry for her, which was amazing considering how many times she'd made my life miserable. But this time, at least, it hadn't been completely her fault she'd assumed Rigel was her property. He'd done all he could to give that impression to everyone. Especially Mr. Smith.

"We had a misunderstanding," I told her, proud that I kept all but the tiniest bit of gloating out of my voice. "But we've cleared it up now."

She glared at me, clearly struggling to come up with the put-down to end all put-downs. Finally, her voice nearly an octave higher than usual, she said, "Well, Rigel, if you'd actually choose her over me, all I can say is that you deserve each other."

"Thank you," he replied smoothly. "That's a very nice compliment--to me, anyway."

With another vicious glare at both of us, she made a strangled noise and turned on her heel to stomp off to a desk as far away from us as possible.