Chapter 27b: Resolution matrix (part 2)

CHAPTER 27

Resolution matrix (part 2)

"You can try," Mr. Stuart finally said. "And we'll help all we can. But there's no question that some--perhaps many--Echtrans are going to want to see you for themselves, to verify that you're really alive . . . and to pay their respects."

"Growing up as you have, M, you can have no idea how world-changing this news will be to our people," Dr. Stuart said gently. "Many may come to regard Jewel, the place you've grown up, as a sort of shrine."

"What, like . . . like Graceland or something?" I squeaked, looking wildly around at all of them. Rigel, at least, appeared almost as startled as I felt. They had to be kidding.

Mr. Stuart chuckled. "A little like that, yes. But with only a few thousand expatriates worldwide, we probably don't have to worry about parking issues. Still, Jewel is likely to become a bit of a, um, tourist attraction for a while."

I was completely boggled by that idea and it didn't help when Shim added, "Only a few thousand at the moment, but if our plans progress as we hope, that number will grow steadily over the next few decades."

"But . . . what do I do?" I asked.

"Nothing, for now," Shim said. "We will all, and especially Van and Ariel here, do our best to keep things low key. If you can, conceal the truth from your aunt and uncle for as long as possible, preferably until you are old enough to go away to college. From what I've been told of them, I doubt they would appreciate having their lives disrupted."

I had to laugh at such an understatement. "So I can keep, you know, going to school and everything, right? I don't have to do anything, er, official right away?"

He shook his head. "Eventually, of course, you'll be expected to take on the responsibilities of your heritage. But for now, I hope you will be able to live the relatively . . . ahem . . . normal life of a teenager."

"And part of that is going to the Homecoming dance," Dr. Stuart announced. "We'd better hurry if you don't want to miss the whole thing."

Rigel and I were almost an hour late to the dance.

We thought we'd be able to slip into the black-and-gold festooned cafeteria quietly, but that didn't happen--mainly because it was almost time to present the Homecoming Court and a few of the organizers were starting to panic because Rigel wasn't there yet.

Not only the organizers.

"There you are!" Trina shrilled, rushing up to Rigel seconds after we entered. "Do you have any idea how mortified I'd have been to be crowned solo? Not to mention the dance afterwards." She didn't even glance at me, of course.

Other people did, though.

"Wow, M, you look great," said Pete Chesterton, who was a senior, our best running back . . . and Trina's date. "Lucky guy," he added to Rigel. Trina glowered at him.

"You can say that again," Rigel agreed, gazing down at me with the crooked smile that made my heart do that funny little flip-flop thing--even more than usual, after today's events. I'd been so afraid at one point that I'd never see that smile again. Especially right after he'd actually told me--

"M! You're here!" Bri brought me back to the present, almost tackling me with a fierce hug. "You sounded so strange on the phone when you said you couldn't come over before, I was afraid your aunt might not let you come at all. Oh, that dress looks fabulous on you! I knew it would."