Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

Dinner?

--

Kaspar is leaving the hospital today and it's great news. The doctor said the he was already in a stable condition kaya pwede na siyang umuwi para doon na makapagpagaling. Celeste was extra hyperactive today that I can't stop this big ball of sunshine. Pati ang ngisi ni Kaspar ay hindi napapawi. He looked happier and brighter than the past days. I was happy for him, really. Who wants to be confined in a white box? Who wants to be poked with needles everyday? Nobody. And people who resembles Kaspar's personality doesn't belong there.

But my mind was off to somewhere. I was still thinking about the card I found on the list. Hindi ko nakita 'yon. Well, I never thoroughly searched the notebook. Akala ko ang mga pangalan lang ang natitira no'n. Or I was just too disheartened to flip those pages because I know it'll just remind me about Dad. And I'd be depressed again. I choose the latter.

Habang hinihintay silang makapagtapos ay nasa loob lang ako ng kotse. Celeste was also at the back seat playing the piano on an app installed in her iPad. I kept staring at the rectangular shaped calling card, trying to make-out the wiped out ink stains. I can't read the company name or anything that is imprinted in the card. Tanging natira lang talaga ang Sara Portman nakalagay.

Kaspar opened the shotgun seat that startled me a little. Dali-dali kong tinago ang notebook, documents, and put the paper inside my pocket. He had a hard time climbing up so I have to pull him gently para maayos ang kanyang pwesto sa shotgun seat. Samantha was at the back, assisting Celeste's piano sheets from her piano lessons a while ago. They fastened their seatbelts as it was my cue to start the car and go home.

The car, with Celeste around, is very loud and unruly. Celeste kept talking about her day while Kaspar has to deal with her. Alam kong medyo naiinis na siya which is partly my fault. I drifted them apart by force.

Nang makarating kami sa bahay, I suddenly felt relieved. After helping Kaspar get down the car, we immediately got his things into the house. While Samantha and I had to carry all his bags for him (because he can't handle those things just yet). Nang matapos naming i-move ang mga gamit niya sa loob ay pumasok na rin siya. His eyes roamed around the place in awe. I waited for him to register each nook and cranny his eyes landed on. I followed him too. Hindi ko na rin masyadong pinapansin ang bahay ni Marquis kasi busy ako sa ospital, sa pag-aalaga nila. I inhaled sharply. I'm somewhat... home. "Nice isn't it? Better than the apartment that you're staying." I asked him.

Tumango-tango siya na hindi pa rin natatanggal ang mga mata niya sa paligid. "Wow." Was the only word he can think of saying.

I just chuckled and shook my head. He's too easy to please sometimes. "Come. I'll show you to the bedroom." I lead him to the rooms just at the hallway. Dalawa lang ang kwarto sa bahay. Isang master bedroom at isang guest room. Celeste occupied the guest room. Kahit labag sa loob ko ay pinayagan ko because she can't sleep with somebody is in the bed besides her... unless she wants someone to be at her side. Ako lang naman nasa master bedroom so I was thinking that maybe Kaspar could occupy the room. I fished the keys on my pocket and opened the room.

We entered inside as Kaspar roamed his eyes around the room. "You'll be sleeping here from now on."

Ngumisi siya. "Katabi ka?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "I'll be sleeping at the basement. Malinis naman doon."

"Why?" He asked. "Venus, you really don't need to. The bed is enough for both of us. Hindi mo na kailangan matulog doon."