Part Five: Writing

21/01/2012

I am a good writer.

This is something I know, I don't need to be told it (though I still love hearing it lol), and I strive every day to become better.

Obviously one of the most important (perhaps the most important) tools a writer needs to possess is imagination, but let's face it, we're young and a lot of us here don't like our lives; we've got imagination in spades.

I'm a good writer because I embrace grammar, punctuation, and spelling. One of the most essential parts of the writing process is editing, and while a few mistakes are always going to slip through the net (even Philippa Gregory has spelling errors in her books) it is intrinsic to correct the errors we naturally make as we're rushing to get an idea typed up. 

The whole reason I'm writing this is because lately I've seen a lot of stories which start with an Author's Note that goes something like:

"I didn't bother/have time to edit this, sorry lol, if you have a problem with spelling and grammar mistakes don't read on!" Fine. I have no intention of it, actually.

Once ever I've uploaded something without editing it and I regretted it so I went back the next day and fixed the mistakes I'd made.

Because if you don't embrace the most basic, fundamental tools of the English language (or whatever language you're using), how can you dare to call yourself a writer?