s i x t e e n

Anthony.

Standing against the small space between the door marked 787 and 789, I slouched a bit as I continued to wait for an answer

Standing against the small space between the door marked 787 and 789, I slouched a bit as I continued to wait for an answer. It had been already been about five minutes, and I wasn't even sure why I was still standing there waiting.

Leaning off of the wall, I prepared to leave taking in the the deadly silence around me until I made my way to the elevators. For it to be an apartment building with long corridors, it was fairly quiet and peaceful.

The next sound came from the ding of the elevator, and as I prepared to step on, both Xora and Kai stepped off. With her hand digging in her purse, she managed to bump right into me.

"I'm so sorry." She began as she held onto Kai's hand with her free one. "Oh. What are you doing here?" She asked noticing that it was me that she bumped into.

I followed behind her toward her apartment yet again.

"Oh you're not happy to see me?" I chuckled once we were all inside and Kai was off into his new bedroom.

"You're so bipolar." She told me with an eye roll. "A few hours ago you were snapping on me and didn't have anything to say, now you're back like nothing happened."

"I'm not bipolar. I'm still mad as hell." I informed her shutting down her accusation. "I just know it's your first night here and you're scary so." I shrugged and watched the scowl on her face turn into a smile.

"Aww!" She cooed before wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Man stop." I laughed.

"I really was going to sleep in Kai's room with him." she admitted as she let me go and went to wash her hands in the kitchen sink.

Xo pissing me off was nothing unusual. She had a way of getting under my skin quite often, but she also had a way of being an escape and joy to be around most days.

I migrated into her bedroom until she and Kai had finished eating and he was in his room. I hadn't even realized I had fallen asleep until I was being tapped awake. The scent of food tickled my nostrils and I woke up instantly.

"You know you don't have to pretend to be nonexistent when my son is here. He knows you're here." She giggled and handed me the plate of food she had prepared.

"I know. But you know kids are vulnerable in situations when they have several men in and-"

"Several men?" She asked placing her hand on her hip in her signature offended stance.

"Not like that. I'm just-"

"Basically I'm a hoe who has a bunch of niggas around my son?" She asked and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"What Xora? That's not what I said at all. I'm just saying that as a man who isn't his father, I don't want to be around him too much and he get comfortable thinking things are different than what they are. You should be happy about that. Stuff like that can be really damaging to a child."