22. It Shall Not Be My Fault

"Mother!" Skyla screamed, sitting up panting and clutching the furs to her chest.

"What's wrong?! Are you okay?!" Dagur yelled, running into the room.

"My father....he...he....he killed my mother!" Skyla said trying to catch her breath and steady her beating heart.

"Wait didn't you say you only lived with your mother?" Dagur asked grabbing another fur blanket and wrapping it around Skyla's bare shoulders. "How did you know this man was your father?"

"This dream I had was of when I was a baby. I saw my biological parents, Drago Bludvist and a woman named Ursa."

"Bludvist?" Dagur asked, gripping her shoulders a bit more tightly. "That madman?"

"Yes him! He...he wanted to use me to be part of his army...and I was forced to command dragons to hurt so many people...including my adopted brother's father...he probably hates me now!" Skyla burst into tears and felt Dagur release his hold on her as she cried.

"H-hey don't cry now, I don't know what you did exactly to control those dragons but I'm sure your brother would forgive you when he finds out you were being forced to do that." Dagur said gently placing a hand on her shaking shoulders. Shattermaster gave a small croon and nuzzled Skyla.

"I'm a monster." She whispered.

"I used to think of myself that way too." Dagur said quietly. Skyla stopped crying and looked at him surprised.

"You did?"

"Yeah, I used to be known as Dagur the Deranged, the most berserk Berserker ever known. I was ruthless and had a real bad temper as well. I was hated by numerous people and I did terrible things to them."

"What made you stop?"

"I came to realize my horrible actions against Berk so I decided to try and help them, even warn them of a mission that they were going to take was suicide. I risked my life and the life of my dragon to keep my sister and the people she saw as her family safe. nd I could not go back after that, my work was done."

Skyla looked down at the floor feeling foolish. What she had done seemed like nothing compared to what Dagur had done, or maybe it was just the same in a way. Neither of them wanted to face a family member they had hurt for fear that they wouldn't forgive them.

"Do you think my brother and his mother would forgive me for killing their chief?" Skyla asked in a quiet voice. "And everyone else too?"

Dagur lifted her chin up so that their eyes were meeting and gave her a gentle smile, sort of like the ones Eret would give her when she lived on Berk.

"They should, I don't see why they should stay mad at you. You are innocent of all this Skyla, you did not know what you were doing. If they don't forgive you, then it's they should be ashamed of themselves." He said and Shattermaster grunted in agreement.

"The gods are my witnesses of my actions, only they can judge me rightfully." Skyla said, standing up and wrapping the furs around her more tightly. "If my family and friends don't forgive me for that, then it's their loss."