Chapter 1 - A challenge

Behind every strong man 

stands a strong woman.

----------------

Kageyama Tobio let out another long yawn before he glanced at his watch. 21:36. He was very late for dinner. Quietly he hoped that his sister had left him a good amount of food for him to eat. His sister. Kageyama Tamiko. A student of Shiratorizawa Academy. The same school Ushijima Wakatoshi went to. The undefeated volleyball team of the Miyagi Prefecture. His jaw tightened and he grinded his teeth from frustration. Today, while doing sprint training, him and Hinata had gotten lost and crossed paths with the Ace of Shiratorizawa Academy, and they even followed him to the school. They had challenged him and the tingling feeling of excitement was still present in his body. That guy represented Japan in the U19 Youth World Championship. If they could beat him, Karasuno would be climbing up the ladder even higher. Soon he reached the gate of his home. Upstairs the lights were shining through the curtains of his sister's bedroom. She was probably still studying. An elite school like Shiratorizawa demanded high grades. He unlocked the door and stepped into his warm home.

"I'm home." he called and heard footprints approach from upstairs.

While he was untying the shoelaces of his trainers, the footsteps came down the stairs and approached him. When he looked up he met the friendly face of his sister.

"Tobio-kun, welcome back." she greeted him simply, but with a fond smile.

He stood and looked down at her, smiling back. Since the last year of junior high, he had grown beyond her height. Tamiko was slightly above the average japanese female height with her 165 cm but he knew Hinata, who was about the same height, if not shorter. Kageyama and his sister shared the same dark blue eyes, but otherwise, they were very different. She had brown, wavy hair while his was straight and black, her lips were a little bigger, her nose smaller, covered sparsely with freckles and she was smarter. It was no wonder she had been accepted into the elite academy, a prideful moment for their mother. If you excelled in sports you had a ticket but otherwise they wanted excellent grades. It had angered him that he hadn't been accepted but she had told him about a great trainer from Karasuno and then he applied there. Throughout his life, his sister had supported him in any way she could. Even today, despite her studies, she gave him her time.

"How was your training?" she asked, as she readjusted her glasses.

She always asked. She always wanted to know how he was doing. It gave him security and made him feel wanted. Something he had never felt during volleyball.

"As usual. We went for a run in the afternoon and we met a guy from your school." he told her, with a mischievous grin.

She raised an eyebrow.

"From Shiratorizawa Academy?" she wondered. "Did you get lost?"

He jolted and pouted. She knew him too well.

"We just ran a little further than the others." he mumbled.

"I see." she nodded. "So who was it?"

"Ushijima Wakatoshi. He is the ace of the volleyball team." he told her as he walked into the kitchen.

Tamiko followed him in silence as he spoke.

"He said Oikawa-san was a better setter then me. I'm going to prove him wrong." he continued.

"Well, good luck with that." she smiled and patted his shoulder. "I know that training is important but you need to eat as well." she told him and went to the cupboard to get him a plate.