Chapter 14 - It began... (Flashback)

--Two years and 6 months earlier--

"Tamiko-chan, hurry up." Izumi urged. "We will run out of time."

It was lunch break and Tamiko pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose, frowning. Two weeks had passed since she started to attended Shiratorizawa Academy. It was a very big complex with many buildings and now her friend was pulling her through the still unfamiliar territory. They followed the signs to the 5th gym. Izumi had developed a crush on one of the volleyball players and had begged Tamiko to spy with her. Only for her friends would she abandon her studies for such feckless matter as she liked to call it.

"So, who are we spying on?" she asked with a hint of disinterest.

"His name is Semi Eita. He is really good looking." Izumi swooned. "You will see."

Tamiko rolled her eyes. It wasn't the first time she had to spy on a guy with her but that name somehow rang a bell, but she couldn't find a face to the name. When they reached the building they paused for a moment. The gym was big, very big building, much bigger than they were used to from junior high. The building loomed over them and it felt even more intimidating since this was one of six gyms. The sounds of squeaking trainers and volleyballs hitting flesh and floor echoed through the huge volume of space. The two first years carefully peeked their heads through the open door and watched. There were a lot of boys, tall boys practising jump serves. They were already covered in sweat while the old coach shouted criticism at them. It was a scene they were both familiar with.

"So, do you see him?" Tamiko asked after they had watched for a while.

"Yeah, he's back there. Isn't he gorgeous?" she asked her for an opinion.

"Not really." she grumbled without giving him a good look.

"Geez, Tamiko-chan." Izumi groaned and turned to her. "Oikawa-kun himself confessed to you and you rejected him. You really need to look around more and don't set your standards so high. I will not let you graduate high school without having gone on at least one date, kissed at least one guy and had at least one boyfriend." she declared.

"Don't put your hopes up." Tamiko sighed. "I just don't like the popular type."

"Whatever. I'll try to fish this lovely catch." she smirked and both watched the club practice.

There was one guy whom Tamiko seemed the remember from somewhere. She was sure she had seen him in a match last year. He was tall for a first year, sinister looking and had a very powerful swing. What also caught her attention was his hand with which he hit the ball. It was his left. A left-handed volleyball player was a rare sight. Then it clicked. He was a former player from Shiratorizawa junior high, a team that her old school had never managed to defeat. A lot of people talked about him since he was left handed but she couldn't remember his name. The coach announced the practice of spikes and Izumi shifted.

"So he's a setter." she mumbled to herself.

She followed her gaze and her eyes settled on a fellow first year with messy light blond hair and dark dyed tips. He tossed the ball to the others for them to spike over the net. One by one they spiked the balls while the libero's tried to receive them. Then it was that left-handers turn. His form was perfect as he jump and with one serious swing, he hit the ball. The libero had no problem crossing with the ball's path but when it impacted his arms, he lost control. The volleyball spun and flew with serious speed towards the door. Tamiko never had enough time to react. The ball shot straight into her face and knocked her back. The back of her head smashed against the hard concrete and her vision became blurred, the words muted. She didn't know how long she lay there, everything in slow motion, but when she slowly came to her senses, a teacher was talking to her. She didn't hear what he was saying but a female voice brought her back to reality.