Chapter 16 - A Blossom (Flashback)

I hate this, Tamiko grumbled to herself as she coughed for the millionth time today. She had been bedridden for about two days now and she hated it. Izumi had already visited her with Semi but still, she was bored. A glimpse at the calendar. Friday. She should be working today but she already phoned in the day before, excusing herself for her illness. The children were probably very disappointed. She frowned and coughed again when her phone chimed. With a heavy arm she lazily reached for it.

From: Ushijima Wakatoshi

To: Kageyama Tamiko

You aren't here today.

That message surprised her. What surprised her even more was that this message was from Ushijima. Without thinking she wrote a reply.

From: Kageyama Tamiko

To: Ushijima Wakatoshi

I'm not feeling well.

A reply followed quickly.

From: Ushijima Wakatoshi

To: Tami

Get well soon.

That made her smile. Was that big guy really worried about her? A funny thought. In the library, Ushijima was looking at his phone as a message appeared.

From: Kageyama Tamiko

To: Ushijima Wakatoshi

Thank you. ε=o('ロ`||).  *Note from author "Help, my readers are dirty minded. That's a cough, guys."

He switched off his phone screen and returned his attention to his book. Another gardening book, this time about cactee. He sat there, by himself. The cry of a child disturbed him. He looked up to the source and saw a mother with her child at the reception. The little boy was crying.

"I'm sorry but Kageyama Tamiko is very ill." the old librarian explained. "She wouldn't be doing the reading today."

"What a shame." the mother sighed. "Ryota was looking forward to it ask week."

The boy continued to cry when a shadow feel on him. He froze as he looked up to the dark figure looming over him when Ushijima went down on his knees to be at the boy's eye level.

"I'm in Kageyama's class. Do you want me to deliver a message to her?" he asked.

The boy thought for a moment.

"Tell her to get well soon." the boy said and Ushijima nodded.

Then he grabbed his phone.

From: Ushijima Wakatoshi

To: Kageyama Tamiko

Ryota tells you to get well soon.

The boy looked at the phone when a new message appeared.

From: Kageyama Tamiko

To: Ushijima Wakatoshi

Tell him thank you and that I haven't forgotten his dinosaur story.

Ushijima told him the message and the boy grinned happily. The mother thanked him before she left and even librarian smiled to herself.

"Thank you, young man." she smiled.

Ushijima nodded. The weekend training passed slowly and Tamiko, who had started to visit the weekend training, was not present. The boys knew why. Still, it felt different without her watching. During break, Ushijima grabbed his phone.