Lie 5- I'm Sorry for Leaving

Thank you guys!
7 months ago

The motel room was humid, the air moldy and disturbing. Sounds from skinny dippers in the pool and heavy drunk man snores could be heard through the thinning walls. The old lamp light flickered causing the room to sputter with darkness, but I was not scared.

If not, the honeycombed lights eased my abundant emotions.

I was alone. Alone. Alone, but happy.

The mattress below me let out groans as I reached for my phone.

Mom- 9 missed calls

Dad-11 missed calls

mom-Where are you?

Mom-Why aren't you home

Mom- It's past eleven

Mom-Emmarie said you weren't with her

Mom- why are you lying

Mom- come home

Mom- where are you?

Mom- I'm calling the police

Dad-Where are you?

Dad-Are you in trouble?

Dad- We're calling the police

I sighed dramatically, aware that the police will show up any moment to take my back home.

Running away had always been a dream of mine - to be free and courageous.

And I was both as I sat in the stale motel room, my head held high and legs crossed sophisticatedly.

There was knocking on my door, "Police."

I groaned, they found me. While feeling defeated, I also felt accomplished to have made five hours on my own. My phone vibrated as the knocking continued.

And we'll never be royals (royals)

It don't run in our blood

That kind of lux just ain't for us, we crave a different kind of buzz

Let me be your ruler (ruler)

You can call me queen bee

And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule

Let me live that fantasy

Calling-Mom

Realizing my freedom will be ending, I picked up the phone.

"Victoria!" her voice pierced me through the phone. "Where are you? Are you okay?"

I thought this over carefully, "Yeah, I just needed a break."

She sounded skeptical, "You're not high or drunk or anything....are you?"

I was insulted that she would even think that.

The knocking was giving me a headache, so I covered the earpiece calling out, "Give me a sec'"

The knocking stopped, as they began to murmur. My mother's breathing was loud and panicked at the other end of the line.

"No, I just left," I said, bluntly.

"You ran away?" her voice was hurt.

Even though she couldn't see, I nodded, "Mhhm."

Why I ran away was a mystery.

Maybe.

I ran because I was tired of watching Grey's Anatomy and being placed second. Of course, I didn't tell my mom this.

"You scared us!" she snapped.

"I'm sorry for leaving," I lied. It was easier to lie through a phone instead of my mother's charcoal eyes.

But I didn't care. Because if it weren't for the police and inevitability of being found, I would be as far as possible from this town.