Chapter Seven

×

Back at the Pole...

"Stand back!," North ordered as the wooden doors began to open. The yetis lunged forward when the inside had become fully exposed. A few had pushed Fritz forward into the brightly lit room. Fritz gazed at each direction of the empty room that lacked windows and doors. In the middle of the emptiness lies a majestic sword carefully placed at a pedestal. It looked somewhat ancient. North stopped in his tracks and glanced at each yeti, ordering them to search all corners of the area. Fritz walked towards the weapon and scratched his hair.

North had carefully guided him along his path, vividly aware that he had placed a few traps on certain areas. Sweat trickled down Fritz's neck as the anticipation grew. One of the big, furry creatures roared loudly as he pointed at a tiny mouse scurrying inside a glass box-like trap. North's shoulders sunk as he exhaled with relief. He ordered the yeti to bring the small creature outside the room. He looked at the side of the door to see a small crack underneath, probably where the mouse had found its entrance.

"Patch it up."

"All this drama for just some sword?," The young man in joggers blurted out, exasperatedly.

"Its not just some sword," North exclaimed carefully. His beard swayed while he took his steps outside, Fritz quietly listening at his side. "It is very important to each of us and most especially to man in moon."

Fritz didn't clearly understand what he had meant. North led him outside as the yetis reset the wooden traps. A couple of elves walked in with a large wooden plank and a box of nails. There was a loud banging a few steps away on the other side of the hall. A small drill emerged from one of the doors and drove its way towards their direction, twisting the nails into the wooden plank as the elves set in in place. When the room was finally clear and secured, the doors slowly closed and the locks adjusted.

North opened his mouth, as if to continue his sentence, but was surprised when Fritz didn't blink. A subtle buzzing sound made the poor boy tense. He fidgeted through his pocket and fumbled with the small item, His eyes never leaving the screen.

"Fritz? You're not going to answer that?"

The young boy glanced up at him and North could've sworn his lips were shaking. It made him wonder greatly as to what made the boy so afraid. He gave him a small pat before Fritz looked back down at the phone. It had been buzzing for quite a while now.

"It's my mom," He gulped. Sweat trickled under his chin. "W-what time is it?"

I placed a finger on my beard and pondered for a moment, trying to figure out the time schedules per city. Fritz shifted uncontrollably on his stance. He ran his hands through his coal hair, trying to look very calm. But his eyes definitely said otherwise. "In your town? Probably ten in the evening."

And that was it.

Fritz turned pale, his expression was shattered. He waved the phone around, hesitating to press the small green button as the calls keep coming. His other hand formed into a fist and patted his forehead. The elves merely followed him, trying to decipher his every movement. North raised his eyebrow.

"I am so dead. I am precisely going to be murdered. She's probably going to scrape my flesh and feed it to our retriever. This is it. She's going to dig my grave and push me there once she finds me!," The teen grumbled to himself as his eyes darted around. Phil, one of the yetis, tried to calm him down by giving him a glass of water. But no avail. Fritz turned to North with wide eyes. "You've got to explain this to her!"

"Me?"

"No wait. I'm an idiot. What do I tell her? 'Ma, Santa and his buddies turned us into their little helpers! And that their leader, the moon, made us guardians to fight against some weirdo.' She'd probably throw me to Pluto, herself!," Fritz complained loudly. North sighed and crossed his arms.

"Fritz, I don't think it's possible for you to talk to your mother."

"Yeah, you're right. I'd probably be 16 feet underground by then," He walked towards the main hall and continuously banged his head against the wall. With his current situation, North decided to postpone the warning since it might make things worse for the poor boy. He pondered for a moment, trying to think of a way to calm down the young lad who seemed to be buried in distress. If only the golden man were here, it'd be easier with just a flick of a finger and a few scrapes of dream sand.

Hours had passed and the teen had been fast asleep by the fireplace in North's office. The bearded man sat on his little chair as he picked up a small block of ice. He gazed back at Fritz, who, earlier, put up quite the fight against the yetis who tried so hard to restrain his tantrum. His phone rested on top of his lap. A small hint of guilt glowed above the joyful blue hue. How on earth would he, or any of the other guardians, explain to each of them the underlying truth against their visibility?

"When the day comes, please let them understand," North pleaded silently as the moon shone softly on the other end of the dim room. As if it were to reply, the rays grew slightly brighter.

It will be alright.