Chapter Eight

・☂ Gaille ☂・

It's the 2nd day of September.

I sat by one of the boulders filled with moss and vines, a pencil and sketchbook in each of my hands. I'm glad that the Easter bunny was kind enough not to leave my belongings back at the Auditorium. I have quite a few personal items in my backpack that I wouldn't want any of the staff to see. Sigh.

Our training earlier had been postponed since there was a little mishap at the Pole. Apparently, the quadrangle, where we were supposed to be introduced to different forms of combat, got thrashed because Althea had a little panic attack when her ears disappeared and got replaced with a pair of feline ones. To be honest, I thought they were cute.

She wouldn't stop bumping into lots of stuff when she ran around in circles. Sandman tried his best to keep her calm by aiming a ball of dream sand which, unluckily, landed on Gabric and some of the little tooth fairies. North and Bunnymund, on the other hand, tried to make sure she didn't run into the obstacle course. A tail began to show right after, which made things slightly worse since Fritz kept stepping on it, whether by purpose or by accident, I couldn't tell.

Long story cut short, the Easter bunny and I returned back into the warren whilst the others did the same. Though, Vincent offered to help with the cleanup since Sandman had time to spare. I glanced up at the huge rabbit who was busy counting off a few of the colored eggs that marched on the other side of the stream. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed, apparently lost in thought whilst the quill danced on the paper.

"Do you think those guys are going to be alright?," I mumbled silently.

There was no answer.

I shifted awkwardly as I fidgeted with my fingers, trying to shake off the embarrassment. The soft grass ran against my feet causing a couple of lady bugs flying from the disturbance. A couple of minutes had passed and the air was filled with nothing more than uncomfortable silence and scribbling. Even the birds were chirping at a softer volume, as if they were trying their best to be as quiet as possible. With a deep breath, I glanced back down at my artwork only to be surprised to see a couple of pale white eggs standing near my hip. Even if they were blank, they looked quite curious.

I raised my hand with the pencil, only to see the eggs following its direction. One of them crept into my backpack and pushed out my paintbrushes. This made the other ones pretty excited as they all scrambled closer. An idea popped up in my head. I placed my sketchbook down and walked towards the blue-ish grey figure. Hesitation grew as I opened my mouth to speak.

"Do you need any help painting the e-"

But before I could finish my sentence, I was greeted by a soft, white lump of fur in front of my face. The clipboard hanged on the other remaining fingers. I was taken aback by the gesture and shut my lips in an instant. My shoulders tensed up and I turned my vision from my feet to see if I had irritated my mentor. The bright green orbs stared straight at the marching eggs, trying to regain his focus. He still continued to mutter digits as his eyes traced the minuscule movements.

"S-sorry, but is it fine if I paint a few? I just thought you might need the help."

He merely raised a thumb in response. I nodded quickly before walking back to my stuff. I whispered a small 'thank you' before running off on the other side of the small hill, casually following the path of the stream. There had been a few stone-like bowls that could fill up a good amount of paint from the different colored rivers. The eggs had been following me since then. When I had found a good spot, where the eggs could march back once their finished, I crossed my legs on the dry ground and dipped my paintbrush in one of the bowls. I pondered for a moment before picking up one of the little guys.