06. trip

"Rowan! Rowan, come on get out of bed!" my dad bellowed, entering my room. I didn't look up, but since there was a minor silence between his next sentence, I figured that he was just taking in the state of my room.
Half of the clothes I owned were strewn across my ocean blue carpet (which was layered in dust). All my make-up and some hair tools/oils was scattered on my dressing table and it generally looked as if a hurricane had entered and destroyed this space.

"Okay, uh..." Dad uttered, probably wondering whether to tell me to clean my room nicely, or disown me. Fortunately for me, he did neither of those things.
"Well, we're going out on a fun family trip today, because recently we haven't had much time to ourselves because of your tapings and interviews and Carmen and Shane's friends. On top of that, Mom is getting a promotion and has been invited to loads of social stuff so we are definitely going out today!" he declared.

My father was very passionate about family things. Like my mom, he didn't like phones or 'that metal crap people use these days' as he liked to call it. For him, it was fine for work-related affairs but if you wanted to play on it and socialise on it...well he would tell you to go to hell. So obviously we didn't get along very well when I had my phone out. Which was all the time.

"Now get your bags packed because we're going to the beeeeeach!"

Did beaches have WiFi?

▽▽▽

We had been driving for almost two hours and finally my dad had lost his voice in screeching bad road trip songs to create a happy atmosphere. Only Shane joined in the hell fest. My mom had tried at first but it got terrible to her as well.
All I wanted to do was to reach into my pocket and take out my phone which contained my life inside it. I'd already received a message from Corey in the morning but could I open it? No. Could I even look at my phone?

I laughed at myself. What the hell was I doing complaining about not getting to look at my phone when others didn't even have the privilege to own one? What was I doing acting like Kim Kardashian when she lost her earrings (one of the most noted moments in history) when people were suffering from hunger and thirst?
The point of this trip seemed so stupid now. We were wasting tons of fuel and unrenewable things only to go to a beach? That seemed absurd. And I bet my whole life, we wouldn't have fun on this trip.

Okay now I was getting way too far-fetched. This was what happened when I was alone with my thoughts.

"We're almost there guys! Can you see the sea?!" my mom gasped, trying to make up for not being enthusiastic earlier. My dad, picking up on this, also tried to be ecstatic about seeing water.
"Woah look at how big it is," Carmen added. Maybe I could try to be happy just for my family. It would be selfish to ruin their 'fun' day out with my depressing self.
"I love making sandcastles, please can we make sandcastles?" I said. This seemed to please my parents who obviously thought I was going to sulk this whole day.

"Of course we can darling!"
"Yes, and maybe we could hire a speedboat to zoom us around the ocean, huh?"
This was the first time my dad had ever suggested an idea that I really loved. You know what, this day was going to be great. I would make it great.
My sudden bipolar turn actually made my family much happier and the whole trip was actually pretty good. Very unexpectedly good.
To be honest, I didn't even know my family could be this fun. What was I doing wrong for fourteen years?

▽▽▽

I decided to post something on my public Instagram since I hadn't posted for about a week. The last thing my followers had seen of me, was a snapshot of the beautiful French films I watched last week. They were gorgeous; I loved everything about them, including the fact that they were old . French movies were just so romantic and moving, and not to mention, all the characters had a great fashion sense! I loved old things, and cherished every antique piece of furniture we had around the house.