Ideas

"How have you been faring, Evelyn?" He started the conversation.

"Well you now know why I am here in Cairo - for the museum - but also I'm beginning my research for the Bembridge Scholars. Joe and Rick have gotten engaged, and then there's Jonathan..." I paused debating whether to talk about Jonathan or not.

"Jonathan is his typical self. We've decided to move into our childhood mansion, it's certainly been interesting... Honestly, it's too big for us, we don't need all the space, but it's not my decision so..." I noticed we were going a specific direction like he wanted to show me something. I drifted off in my conversation looking up at the stars and their beauty as we rode. Ardeth looked up with me.

"Extravagance is not always the way to go," he said. I could hear the smile in his voice. I closed my eyes and let the stress drain away. "What troubles you Evelyn?" I heard him ask quietly not wanting to upset me.

"I've had so much on my plate lately, so much work to do with the Museum of Antiquities and Bembridge Scholars. They want me to conduct research on either a historical event or a culture, but I just can't come up with anything new. It's been such a bother lately and I'm wondering if I'm even fit for this line of work. I mean really who would take a librarian turned adventurer? Maybe I'm not like my family at all... I really feel like I'm not moving forward, like I'm stuck standing in one place while my siblings progress. Joe is making a name for herself and now she's even getting married, both Jonathan and I never thought that would happen, we ended up taking bets on it, you know? Which reminds me, he owes me 100 pounds. Speaking of Jonathan, he has plans to open some sort of business, and as you know, he's never been good with planning anything. But what am I doing in life?" I inhaled deeply, suddenly realizing all those thoughts slipped from my mouth. My head shot up as I looked at Ardeth, who was still focused on the way we were traversing. Thank god he wasn't looking at me because if he was he would see my cheeks burn a magnificent scarlet shade. He seemed tense, as if weighing his next words. After brief contemplation, he stopped his camel to evenly face me.

"I understand, Evelyn, as I'm quite familiar with feeling like the world has moved forward while you are not. When I was young I had much pressure on me to be the great chieftain my father was. Eventually, I realized that I did not have to become my father, that I could appreciate his wisdom as a leader without emulating him. I needed to lead the Medjai how I saw fit. The responsibilities on my shoulders were heavy and I wasn't ever sure how I could possibly get to them all, but what I have learned in the years to come is that we need to slow down and take one task at a time. As for your project... I believe there are no records of the Medjai other than in our oral lore. With the recent events involving the Creature, it may be acceptable to physically record our traditions. Before exploring this option I must defer to my elders for permission, but I hope this is helpful to you."

"Oh my god. Ardeth that would be amazing!! But of course as long as I have permission. This could be ground-breaking. I would love to learn about your tribe and where you've come from." I smiled at him.

"Yes? Then I will send Horus with word in the morning." Ardeth said looking forward again.

"Horus?" I asked curious as to whom he was talking about. He smiled.

"Horus is my companion. He carries communication to my brethren in this harsh desert." He explained holding his arm out. I was confused for a moment but soon a small falcon flew down to land gracefully on his outstretched arm.

"Oh," I whispered, "He's lovely." Suddenly, Ardeth stopped his camel and I realized we had arrived at a well just outside the city. When he hopped off his camel, Horus fluttered from his arm and landed where Ardeth was sitting, placing him on the camel's back. The Medjai produced a blanket from the burlap sack on his camel's back, spreading it out on the ground. I slipped off my camel then pulled my jacket around me to prevent the breeze from chilling my bones. He sat down and finally relaxed, studying the stars and enjoying the serene atmosphere. I walked over to join him on the blanket. While he was occupied I took advantage of the moment to study his facial features. He stole a glance back down at me, suppressing a smile as he did so. We fell into a lovely silence while enjoying each others company. I was glad he invited me out tonight and that I hadn't declined the offer. This man was growing closer to me by the minute. Joe was right, this was a very special man.