five

"you say you don't know jungkook, but you both talk as if you are long-time ex lovers." eunbi raises her perfectly arched brow at me as i lock our arms together in a loop. "what was that all about?"

"it's nothing." i lie, watching him leave the lingerie store with the shopping bags in his hand and a very angry girlfriend beside him. "we don't know each other." not anymore.

in my alternate universe, where the perfect love between jungkook and i existed, he wouldnt have to hold all those shopping bags. in my alternate universe, where jungkook was still the boy i used to know, he would only have to hold my hand. in my alternate universe, where jungkook kept his promises.

two day later, there is a knocking at my door as i prepare my ramyeon—dinner for tonight. what a great time for this twenty four year old to be alive. in nothing but a white oversized shirt and high knee socks, i go over to answer the door. it's not usual that i get a visitor come by without telling me in advance, unless they're the mailman. that rarely ever happens anyway because the only mail i get is through outlook.

when i open the door slowly, there's a figure standing there with a huge bouquet of roses that pretty much covered their entire upper body. before i could open my mouth and ask what this is, the figure moves the bouquet to the side and reveal themselves to be the one and only, jeon jungkook.

"what in the world? why are you here?" i furrow my eyebrows together and cross my arms, only then to realise that i'm totally underdressed for this.

"i just wanted to apologise," jungkook smiles so big that it reaches his eyes and shows off his pearly white teeth. his smile is my favourite, it has always been my favourite. and it sucks, it sucks so much because i've been held back to so many things by someone who didn't even exist. i could have fallen in love without guilt, if i did, by now i would have probably been living in a much better place, cooking much better dinner and always coming home to a man who didn't have to wait so long to find me. i'm sorry, future husband. your current wife is an immature little girl who really thought her marriage was going to be based off a promise. "i'm sorry for being like that to you on saturday. it's just, are you really willing to turn yourself into a sexual object to be used for other people's pleasure? you deserve to be treated as a woman with respect and dignity. you might be able to become a stripper now, but in the future when you're older they'll kick you out and you'll have no education, no experience with a real job and won't have many options open for you .. anyways, i am really sorry and i hope you like this bouquet of roses."

i stand there nodding very slowly, trying to get his message clear in my head. "thank you, but i really don't want this bouquet. i guess you could leave it down the reception or something?"

"every girl loves roses." his smile fades slowly. yes, i guess we all do despite how cliché as they are anyway. i love roses, and i have always loved them. ever since i saw my high school heartthrob, jimin give his precious girlfriend a bouquet for their first month anniversary. roses were more than just flowers.

so yes, yes i did love roses. but he didn't have to show up at my door when i was barely dressed with a bouquet larger than his entire upper body. in my alternative universe, all he had to do was sincerely express his apology. and maybe, just maybe include a long-stemmed rose with a smile too.

"they're too pretty to belong in here." i shake my head and laugh, picking out one rose from the bouquet. "they'll look better in the lobby, where everyone can see them."

"so, even without the roses you'd accept my apology?" his smile returns and he slowly arches his perfect brow.

"yes, i don't need the roses. also jungkook, how did you find out where i live?" i rub my thumb against the soft petal of the red rose and look at him curiously, ready to embarrass him and accuse him of lying when he comes up with a pathetic excuse. he had totally followed me or something one time, right? he has got to be obsessed with me, and these roses prove it.

"i went over your application actually. i am actually quite surprised you graduated with an accounting degree and work at a grocery store." jungkook answers smoothly, catching me off guard. i didn't expect him to be so .. smart. whatever though. "anyways, i have to return to the company. so—"

"jungkook, can i ask you one more thing? even though everything i ask you basically creeps you out or whatever." i say quickly, nervously playing with the stem of the rose but mindful not to break it. he nods his head and i proceed with my super-out-of-the-blue question. "how is your mother? you used to cr— i mean, sorry. your parents hadn't always had the best relationship, right? how is she?"

"no one is allowed to ask me that." jungkook states with his stern voice, shocking me immediately and making me wish i had never opened my mouth. "im leaving."

an: ok so the chapters just went from short to the length of this dik