eight

"his n-name?" i stutter helpless as i walk into the empty silver-scratched elevator. "it was .. jongsook. yeah, jongsook." could i get anymore idiotic? jongsook rhymes with jungkook!

"ah, so what was he like?" jungkook presses the ninth level and stands tall beside me in the elevator.

"he was .." my eyes gloss with a layer of tears, just briefly reminiscing on my teenage years with jungkook.

"sorry. i didn't mean to hit a sensitive topic." jungkook politely apologises as the elevator opens. this night went by so fast, and now he is about to leave, possibly right out of my life forever. "i have something to ask you."

"hm, sure." i take wide steps down the hallway, playing a game with myself where i couldn't touch the lines of the tiles.

"did you change your mind about becoming a stripper?" i don't look at jungkook, worried that i would actually cry, just looking at a stranger in the body of someone i used to love, and could only ever love.

"oh .. that. no, not really." i bite my lips together softly. "anyways, i owe you. you didn't have to go and pay that bill like that. you embarrassed me."

"did i?" he scratches the back of his head as the both of us come to a halt at my apartment door. "i didn't mean to. so, sorry." how many times has he apologised tonight? i search for my keys in my little purse and mentally curse myself for even going out tonight. "you don't have to pay me back, it's nothing. this is my .. apology for embarrassing you. also, why are you still considering becoming a stripper?"

i push my apartment door open. "jungkook, this is where i currently live." i state obviously. "and i eat ramyeon almost everyday. my entire life is based off a little budget. and i love dresses too much. i don't want to live like this anymore, and there is nothing else i can do to prevent a lifestyle like this."

"what do you mean? you can come and work for me." jungkook exclaims as i walk into my cold apartment. "it's totally preventable!"

"i don't need your charity, or your pity jeon." i shake my head and begin to close my apartment door. "but thank you anyways."

he presses his hand hard on the door and stops me from closing it. "but you love cooking, and you're making ramyeon all the time! what about japchae? you love—"

"what?" i cut him off and open the door fully as my facial expression softens, just looking at jungkook with rose tinted shades that blind the truth. "what did you say, jungkook?" yes, i have always loved cooking, and japchae especially. sure, my friends knew that i loved cooking. but not that japchae was my favourite. i only make japchae once a month or two, due to my budget and such little time. jungkook looks at me with an awkward expression with clenched teeth. "i love what? repeat that please .. jungkook." did he remember me now?

"if you come and work for me, you won't need to cook ramyeon all the time." jungkook straightens his figure and moves his hand from the door.

"no .. before that."

"i forgot." he states firmly with a strong voice, a blush rising to his neck. liar, liar, liar!

"jungkook .. do you perhaps .. remember me?"

"no." jungkook shakes his head and sneezes. "anyways .. how do you know so much about me?"

"you're sick, jungkook!" i say loudly, dragging him into my apartment, trying to change the subject. "sit here, sit here." i guide him to the couch and force him to sit. "i am going to make you ginseng tea, okay? stay right here, please."

"i'm not sick!" he retorts, standing up again but weaklessly letting me push him down again. "i am completely .." he sneezes again. "fine!"

"if you .. if you don't let me make you ginseng tea i'll .. i'll kiss you!" i point my finger at him threateningly and raise my brows.

"but what if i would like that very much? you're single, right chaeyoung?" he smirks. i roll my eyes and begin to walk to the small kitchen. i feel so heartbroken, that here, in my apartment is a boy i used to love. how did he come like this? and why?

"jungkook .. just let me take care of you. i don't want to be treated like one of your .. girls." cough, hoes. "i just want you to be healthy."

i bring the water to a heat and begin to make myself ramyeon as well. "it's nine pm, and you're making ramyeon?" jungkook says as he lifts himself off the couch.

"oh yeah, jaesung ordered me a salad that i didn't even finish." i pull my lips into a thin line and nod slowly.

"that's a douche move." jungkook laughs. "i mean you rarely even eat salad, you hate the crunch of lettuce and the plain—."

"what? jungkook, what did you say?" i cut him off again so suddenly, as there is something so absurd about the things he was saying, because he says he doesn't remember me, but he's mentioned two little things about me that i have never told anyone about.

"forget it. forget the tea too. i'm leaving. please don't contact me."