Chapter Twelve, Part Three - Where The Bodies Are

The next evening, I received an answer from Graham about whether I'd be attending the party that night. I stepped out of the shower, wrapping myself in a towel before heading to the closet. Inside, the clothes Emily had provided me with were pushed to the sides. Sitting in the middle was a garment bag, hanging over a pair of sparkling Jimi Choos. Behave read the message taped to the bag. Grinning, I yanked the dress from the rack.

The tag said couture, but the material was divine–a strapless, black gown, with a heart-shaped neckline and plunging back. Like Cinderella, the dress transformed me. I stood before the bureau, admiring my form in the mirror. A knock sounded on the door, and a moment later Emily entered, stunning in a flowing, blood-red gown, with treasure in her hands.

"I was worried about Graham's taste, but it appears he made a wise selection. The dress is beautiful on you."

My smile was faint, most of it absorbed by quite a few grains of salt. Under this roof, I had a whole lot more than a dress to be thankful for.

"He's probably just trying to apologize for his wife--not that he really has to."

"Lily is taken care of, but she's not the source of Graham's generosity..." From the mirror, I watched Emily smile–as thin and faded as my own. "I admit, when he proposed the idea of you attending tonight's events, I was hesitant to the say the least--until he mentioned Finn would be joining us as well. Fortunately, Graham pointed out something I happen to agree with–we need the diary. Even at the cost of being shamelessly embarrassed in a hall full of people."

And why wouldn't he? I was pretty sure half the world's lovechildren hated their parents. "You've done a pretty good job of covering things up so far." I twisted a lipstick in my hands, keeping my eyes on the devil. "I'm sure whatever happens tonight, you'll keep up appearances."

"So will you." Emily's smile widened, and the taller woman took her place behind me. I stiffened, watching through the mirror as she unfolded the treasure–a choker made of diamonds. "I know it doesn't seem that way, but I do love Finn. It's just always been difficult for me to love him the way he needs. His father..." Emily inhaled, casting her gaze briefly downward–the first time I saw her strength waver. "He was not a good man, and our son looked far too much like him... I couldn't breathe at night, until that man disappeared..." I grimaced with her, feeling the pain from details I knew were left out. "I don't expect Finn to ever forgive me, but if you don't stop him, whatever he does from this point will ultimately rebound on him. I might offer you the same advice..." Her eyes flashed, and I knew Emily had changed courses–from the heart, straight to the jugular. "You've made a considerable impression on Soren--it's quite the wandering eye he's developed..." I held my breath, swallowing fear that left my skin cold. "Savannah attracted that same attention. In fact, it's partly why she died--for daring to come between my children." Emily slipped the jewelry around my neck, where it lay, gleaming in the light. My hands gripped the bureau's edge for dear life as she cinched the necklace, like a noose. "I would hate for you to suffer her fate, Scarlet..."

I was still shivering at Emily's threat in the limo.

At the Maison, I didn't take five steps before I pounded a glass of wine. Around me, men and women sparkled from head to toe in their finest. The last time I hadn't there, I didn't felt like I fit in. Now, I did, and the gratification only made me nauseous. I blamed it on the wine.

Meantime, Graham trailed me from a distance, making sure I didn't bust out any flares to shoot SOS signals around the room. But I wasn't looking for any old rescue, I was looking for Aidan. Soren had allowed me to borrow his phone just long enough to make contact with my frazzled best friend. Turns out, he was worried alright, but as far as I knew he still had no idea about the deal his boyfriend had made (nor would I be the one to enlighten him). Aidan was also pretty livid with me for disappearing right after being arrested. I told him not to freak out, that I would explain everything later, and meanwhile to just meet me at the company party the next night. He was the only shot I had if I planned on ditching the Dixons.